Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

pulley for accessories

DonaldSmith

When I added power steering to my 47 DeSoto, I added a pulley to the crankshaft end, and had to move the radiator forward and wallow out the crossmember.  

I ran across a diagram of a 42 DeSoto with air conditioning.  It looks like they added the extra pulley to the water pump, avoiding the crankshaft end and the crossmember.  They mounted the compressor on the passenger side of the engine.  Hmmmmm...  I wish I had thought of that.  (Might still have to do something so that the fan would clear the new pulley and belt.) (That's the U.S passenger side, per Andy Dodge's recent clarifications.)

1942 air-conditioned 2-door sedan.jpg

Edited by DonaldSmith
  • Like 2

Donald interesting a/c setup.........re my clarification on drivers side etc.......... as I'm in Oz and we drive RHD I learnt very early on when corresponding with you guys that my reference to "drivers" side can confuse the issue if those reading it take into account of where I am..............lol.............so I generally add my little caveat...........lol...........regards...andyd

• Like 1

Another thing to notice in the diagram of the 1942 air conditioning system is how high the compressor is.  We are used to the low hoods of newer cars, and would try to keep everything low.  But it looks like the compressor is way above the engine but still fits neatly under the hood .

(Kudos to AndyDodge for clarifying the sides of the car for us U.S. folks who do not have our steering wheels on the right side of the car.)