Steering box re-build

wings515

• 1 year later...

It has been many months since I replied to this forum.  Today the news is VERY good.  The worm gear and sector shaft was replaced with no decrease in slop.  The adjustments were made and there was relatively no slop in the wheel and again the wandering was evident when driving.  Someone suggested checking the Kingpins. There was no movement when checked top to bottom.  When I pushed left to right there was significant movement.  Investigating further, the bolts holding the bottom two brake  adjusters were loose. The previous owner changed the brakes and kept the adjusters loose so adjustments could be made.  Removing the cotter pins and tightening these nuts and replacing the pins fixed all my steering problems.  I can now drive with 'hands off' and it will go straight down the road.

What a long time for a solution.

Regards,

Dan Kahn

39 PT81

Newfoundland PA

• Like 2