Back-up switch for 49 Windsow

bobostski

My shop manual shows a black & yellow wire from the lamp and a red wire to a power source.  Look for a switch at the transmission with wires those colors.  It may be on the left side.  The shop manual shows the solenoid, governor and the interrupter switch on the right side, but shows no view of the left side.   I have the earlier semi-automatic, so I can't check it on my car.  

I think my era car had a manual backup switch for an accessory backup light.  The driver would have to remember to turn it off.  I was able to add a switch to my transmission linkage.  The light comes on whenever I pull the lever toward me, which I do only when I shift into reverse.  If I had a manual transmission, I would have to add a switch to the other linkage, so that the light would not come on when the lever is in first gear.   Here's my setup:

post-126-0-35734000-1443903614_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was hoping someone has an experience with one to make it ease but "nothing is ever easy". I wanted to know if it was on the linkage or in the transmission.  I'll jack it up and do an exploratory.

Looking for colored wires was a good idea but all the wires are black fro age, grease, and grime.

I did look in my manuals and did a search on this site but they were no help.

I'll post when I work it out and then I can be the " Back-up Switch Expert".  Maybe  I'll write a book on it. Then turn it into a block buster movie staring Tom Cruse or Arnold. Or I'll just star in it as myself. After all , I've  been on "Fast and Loud". I know how to act.

"How much is that Dodge Richard? OH, that way too much" I said, knowing you never pay the asking price.