241-270 hemi headers on 53-55 dodge plymouth ?

dodge59

greeting !

has anyone out there ever installed these 241 hemi sanderson shorty headers on a 1953 - 54 dodge royal coronet royal of plymouth models ? dodge did not have much room on the drv side with the steering gear box there. my 54 dodge stock manifolds dump in the middle on the pass side and towards the rear on the drv. side. just wondering if I could modify these sanderson headers to fit around the steering gear box and starter. although they are suppose to clear the oem starter believe. but I think theses headers were designed for street rods.
here is a pic of the header for a 241 hemi . little different design than the chrysler hemis shorty headers .
what are your opinions ?
Thanks !

post-5817-0-79295600-1441979444_thumb.jpg

I just explored the use of those exact headers.  They did not work for me but that's because I had revised the motor mounts and there was a min. interference there.  They could have easily been modified to work in my case but, I decided to continue with my more ambitious project.  

The Sanderson's are a quality product.  I'd bet they would work for you.  And,......you can get them from Summit for slightly less (Sanderson's MSRP) and w/free shipping.  I ordered bare steel on a Sunday recently and received them the following Wednesday.  They accepted the return with no questions asked, and it only cost me the return shipping to get the answer I needed.

• Like 1

I just explored the use of those exact headers.  They did not work for me but that's because I had revised the motor mounts and there was a min. interference there.  They could have easily been modified to work in my case but, I decided to continue with my more ambitious project.  

The Sanderson's are a quality product.  I'd bet they would work for you.  And,......you can get them from Summit for slightly less (Sanderson's MSRP) and w/free shipping.  I ordered bare steel on a Sunday recently and received them the following Wednesday.  They accepted the return with no questions asked, and it only cost me the return shipping to get the answer I needed.

Thanks for input . very helpful.

my 54 dodge royal  has the engine mount  saddle up front wit no side block motor mounts so that is not in the way. What is though is the  manual steering gear box.   That  is the problem. did your car have that issue  with the steering box there ? did that look like it might of been a problem with clearance? You have been a big help . Thanks ! I'll check out summit racing

My application is in a Hot Rod.  However, I'm thinking your Hemi engine is offset slightly to the passenger side (a Mopar trick) to accommodate the stock steering column.  Since the headers project almost straight down from the heads, I'd bet there would be no issues with your stock steering box/column.  The headers are called "block huggers" and their intent is to get the exhaust within the frame rails of a Model A or 32 Ford.  

It's a gamble well worth the cost of shipping if it doesn't work in my opinion.  Summit and Sanderson's standard line is "3-4 delivery" but I'm guessing that's if you wanted ceramic coating.

​Keep us posted.  Love the Baby Hemis! 

• Like 1

I thought sanderson headers are  suppose to fit really nice on an old street rod. I see custom made headers here on this sb hemi.

That's my car, headers I built.  You see the "dog-leg" on the first primary tube on each side.  That's to clear the motor mounts I made and will NOT modify.  At the time I considered the Sanderson's to expedite my project.

Car should be on the road next week. :D 

• Like 1

That's my car, headers I built.  You see the "dog-leg" on the first primary tube on each side.  That's to clear the motor mounts I made and will NOT modify.  At the time I considered the Sanderson's to expedite my project.

Car should be on the road next week. :D 

that's a 1956 325 redram ? what all done internally? do  you have a post on your hemi build?

looks awesome !

found this guy with his redram ply with custom built headers ., he built them himself too. awesome!

what I really need to know is how to get around the steering gear box on 53-55 dodge ply cars . that's the tight spot on the drv side. appears he went over the gear box  with one tube.

post-5817-0-56098600-1442010641_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-42308000-1442010668_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-86957600-1442010693_thumb.jpg

As Bill notes, you could buy the shorty's and do a trial fit, just don't bang them up too much.

I would certainly recommend removing the front clip to get access.

This is Bill's engine build thread: http://p15-d24.com/topic/35470-hemi-build/page-37

Edited by wayfarer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I attemped to use the Sanderson Block Hugger Headers on my 55 Dodge 270 Hemi. They fit ok, But! the collector dumped right over the tie rod on both sides. I took them to a couple of muffler shops thinking that the collector could be cut and angled a bit. But none of the shops wanted to attemp the job. So I just put the stock manifolds back on and eventually sold the headers at a swap meat. It seemed so close to being resloved.

Hello, I attemped to use the Sanderson Block Hugger Headers on my 55 Dodge 270 Hemi. They fit ok, But! the collector dumped right over the tie rod on both sides. I took them to a couple of muffler shops thinking that the collector could be cut and angled a bit. But none of the shops wanted to attemp the job. So I just put the stock manifolds back on and eventually sold the headers at a swap meat. It seemed so close to being resloved.

thanks for  the reply  Ernie  ..

I would think that the 54 and 55 dodges would be pretty close on the underside suspension  to run theses sandersons.`

53-55 didn't have the side  engine mount to deal with. they had the  front saddle engine mount .

did theses sanderson headers fit ok around the stock big iron starter and clear the steering gear box on your 55 dodge Ernie ? You say theses are rear close to tie rods ... no room for a right angle bend there ?  if so..... also wondering if  there is enough clearance between the block and steering gear box to  run  a 2"-  2.5"  down pipe to exit under the car . I heard that theses headers drop down pretty far with the collector . this could be a pretty detailed project .maybe they could shortened some .

well I jacked the car up and crawled underneath it  and studied what would be needed to install headers on the 54 dodge ..

here is  what I came up with .

like Ernie said  .. these sanderson's will hang down too far .  I'd have to shorten the tubes and make a new collector again  just to get the header up higher  or just start over and make all new  tubes I need  to get the job done. 

on the driverside I can bring the front 3 tubes down ok with no obstructions  but number 4 would have to exit thru the rear  above  the steer  gear box .

passengerside  : I still would have to shorted the tubes and collector  to exit  towards the rear under the car . hanging down too far  just like the drv side . 

or another plan would be to  keep the header like it is on the pass side  and make the down pipe exit under the steering  tie rod. same on the drv side but that last tube on the rear  would still have to come out the rear  above the steer box  and join up  into  main pipe as it exits towards the rear of car. I have to see how far down the main pipes would hand down under the tie rods.  there just is no room to run a 2" pipe thru all the suspension parts.  both sides will be a real  project for sure.

I think the sandersons could be used as  a good starter  and then modify them to fit .

No real plan of attack yet.

Edited by dodge59