fuel sender

navyboy

So I asked this question elsewhere but not getting an answer. Someone has a link for a fuel sender with a claim that it works but the link takes me to a sender of a 10_73 ohm range and my understanding is we need 10_78ohms. Will the 10_73 ohm sender still work within range is my question. The sender is a midern ine that the base can be swaped with the original broken one I have and is more reliable and 35$ over the stock junk senders for 60$. Much help appreciated.

I went through this on my B4B.  Solution was a Datcon - Fuel Level Sender 78-10 Ohm - Part # 100437.  Just Google Datcon 100437 and you should get some more info.  BTW, I can't say how well mine works because I have not hit the "add gas" stage yet.

Bob

The Datcon model p/n 100437 is the one I planned to use and was to JC use to carry it for like 20$, what a perfect score but seems they dont carry it anymore. I ony found one place that does carry it and its like 80$ stupid price I think. I cant find any other place that does carry it? Do you or anyone else have any links for this part at a better price? I'm finding nothing in my searches and I would really like to get this fixed.

I have one of those Datcons. I just checked the number and it is 100437 as it should be, but in using it with my original '38 gauge the gauge would never show Full. 3/4 was about the max I ever saw.

At any rate I've since replaced it, so if anyone wants a whack it it  I'd part with it cheaply. It would be less the float as I stole that for another project. :)

also what did you replace it with to get the correct readings? would our fuel gauges by so similar in my 52 as your 38 that I would just end up with the same readings as you did? I would really prefer something that just fn works, but the stocks ones seems to not last for crap. any suggestions.

partdeal.com about $65. 

cheapparts.com about $59

The unit was not listed in JC Whitney when I bought mine, but someone else gave me their number (either here or on the HAMB, can't remember), I called them, and they found one on the shelf based on the number.  Look in the truck section of this site and you will find a recent post by me that has the Whitney number.  They might still have them, but not have them listed in the catalog.

Bob

One thing we did on my car when I installed a new Atwater Kent sender was to bend the needle on the fuel gauge

slightly at the base......to make it read differently.  Those needles are made of pretty thin metal and can be

gently manipulated.  

However, as it turns out, I should have left mine alone because now it only reads 3/4 full 

when I fill the tank.  Just passing along the thought that the needle can probably be 

modified slightly.

The one wire senders work in Dodges....and maybe some "newer" Plymouths, but the P15 uses a two

wire sender.