My 49 B1"b"eater... Some Pics...

Since there have been a few requests... and don't eat or drink while viewing, it was a working truck from 49-74 and then a potato storage bin in the barn from 74-94... it's rough. Really rough...

First off, to fill some old photo requests...

Factory jack:stockjack_zps980753a2.jpg Truck slipped off a taller jack and destroyed the factory one. Looks okay but no longer works.

Rear wiring for the tail and turn lights:rearwiring_zps2da834b9.jpg

Factory spare:49spare_zpsbe6974af.jpg According to my Dad, it's never been out. Grandpa had 9 wheels for it, so they never wrestled with that one.

Edited by Scruffy49

The white wheels in the trailer pic above are 1978 Ramcharger 4x4 with 7.00-15 BF Goodrich Silvertown truck tires...better view, on the original 49 rear axle, all I did was break off the long locator rivet in the drum/hub:1978rimfit_zps77329851.jpg

Same size wheel/tire, but with the covers I'd prefer to run on them:wirewheelcover_zpscedc2c24.jpg Kinda funky, but I like it, and the cover was a test run since I only have one of them.

It will be getting these instead for "show" duty, keeping 15s for everyday use, tires are a lot cheaper...newtires_zpsb2783dab.jpg They are older than I am by 12-14 years, but, they've been inspected and deemed fine... I need to finish the cap but here it is up close...finishedwheel_zpsa8d85397.jpg Guess I need to wash the tire again.

Someone asked about turn signals... mine are on welded brackets in the rear:49butt_zpsdecb1f23.jpg

I bent the rear bumper and valance in 1994 loading it on a different U-haul to go from Grandma's barn to where I lived then. And had it running back then, engine has since given up the ghost, will be replaced with a 230...bentbumper_zpscadd4b67.jpghitchplate_zpsc95ed4be.jpg

I think there is an extra small leaf in my spring packs. Wrapped are 5 front, 6 rear, each has 2 small loose leaves under it...stockspringpack_zps8831be70.jpg The gray is old cow manure, grease and sand.

And yes, the springs are dead, the frame is on a stand. I plan to pull the bottom 2 leaves from each pack, all it will ever haul again is produce, camping/fishing gear, a couple 30s-50s bicycles or an old motorcycle.

Random shots:

Don't like the stock armrest door pull combo, made my own but they delaminated. Making new ones from solid stock. These were scrap from a remodel job at Beauvoir, Jefferson Davis' manor in Biloxi MS:armrest_zpsb83276a2.jpg

I have the stock glovebox knob somewhere, but... and an extra nameplate so, why not...glovebox_zps8cbf7e34.jpg The red thing is the chain guard off my 1937 Henderson bicycle.

That's all the further the door has closed for as long as I can remember:door_zpsa9e97141.jpg Yes, I know the front bumper is twisted, one headache at a time. And as you can see, it was packed full of other stuff, including 2 or 3 more rims that were the temporary seat when we towed it around the yard.

Edited by Scruffy49

Every truck has to start somewhere. Mine is getting a lowering job, Spring Special style paint, all the bent parts straightened.

As for the "things" welded to the rear valance, they are where the cattle load ramp hooked to the truck. I'll probably leave them be, have never seen another 1/2 ton with them. And if you look close enough, you'll see the hitch ball is welded to the plate, which is welded to the bumper, which is welded to the frame... :angry: And those rear light stanchions are welded on, badly, with an oxy-acetylene rig.

The red showing through is real lead primer. The blue is real lead aviation paint from 1958 or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Started on the frame cleaning and repainting this afternoon. Flat black brush on Rustoleum, found an ancient can in the garage, was able to be mixed, why not use it. I'll try and get a couple progress pics later, if I have time. Have the afternoon free to mess with the trucks since it is too wet to till and plant today. Sometimes, getting 3+ inches of rain in under 24 hours isn't a bad thing.