53 4b truck wiper piviots

bigsmel53

what disign wiper pivios came on the 53. Is the vacuum piviot differ from the electric piviots. Or is as simple as old design verses new design of the pop on wiper arm over the screw down style?

Installing a Newport electric wiper motor on this build and having problem with the piviots. The piviots I have all have the arms attachted to the piviot. and are not removable like the ones I see on ebay. any help.

Wiper pivots '51-'53 (or '54) were different than '48-'50 as they were placed further from the center of the cab so the wpers could cover more glass area and stow flat. Vacuum & electric wiper motors shared linkage geometry for respective model years, so the pivot linkage & arm were riveted together, presumably to reduce production cost.

This is a four-bar linkage, so the system geometry is critical in determining component interchangeability. I attempted to install a '53 electric motor in my '49 after doing some calculations & modifications to the wiper linkages. My calcs were a tad off as the wipers slapped the cowl & A-pillar, so after 4 more attempts I got it in the ballpark. The problem was that even though the pivots looked the same, the electric motor links had different lengths & axes, so the pivot sweep was out of whack.