Fuel Tank for 48 B-1-B 4850 GVW

Hello all. Does anyone know where I can get a fuel tank for my truck? Mine is missing. If I had the dimensions , I could build one. There are two bracket attached to the frame 40 - 1/2 inches apart. Are these the fuel tank mounting brackets?

Hello all. Does anyone know where I can get a fuel tank for my truck? Mine is missing. If I had the dimensions , I could build one. There are two bracket attached to the frame 40 - 1/2 inches apart. Are these the fuel tank mounting brackets?

I will get measurements on my 53 for you today, maybe by freak chance they may be the same or close.

I can't help on the exact year info rquested though, mine does have to "rails" that the tank bolts up to and I'll measure them as well.

does that year filler neck go through the cab too?

I have had tanks out of 1 1/2 and 2-ton Pilothouse trucks, as well as my own half ton. Never laid a tape on one, but by my eye and Kentucky windage, they are all the same tank - 48 through 53, and maybe even later.

What you need to know about these tanks is that at each end, on top of the seam that provides the ears for mounting them to the truck frame, there is an additional gusset spot welded to the tank seam, and the mounting holes for the two bolts used at each end go through both the two pieces of tank seam and this gusset, as well. On the back side, this is no problem, but on the front end of the tank, debri and dirt get thrown up and into this gusset, which makes a real handy pocket to catch this stuff.

Wanna' guess where these tanks rust out, when they do? Right behnd this gusset, and you can't see down in there. Took my own tank off and cleaned it within an inch of its life. Painted it up real pretty with ZeroRust, 'n all like that there. Put her back in and first fill with gasoline, and it all came pouring out.

Took it down a second time - gets easier with practice - and took it to the welding shop. When he ground the gusset off the front of the seam area, there were several rust holes you could stick a pencil through. What you need to understand is that you cannot see this area, just looking at a tank, sitting on the shop floor. The gusset must be removed before you inow what the quality of what you have really is.

By the bye, tanks can be easly welded and repaired. Don't let your welding shop tell you otherwise, or charge you great fees to fix 'em. My Amish welder just pulled his riding mower into the shop, stuck a hose on the exhaust and let it run into the tank for five minutes, then welded it just like any other piece of metal. That carbon monoxide's gotta' be good for something, after all the trouble it causes in other places, what? JMHO

I had the same problem on all three B series truck tanks. I saved and reconditined two of them, one for my driver and one for my frame-off. I have the third one which has cancer at the front gusset area as Greybeard described. You're welcome to it for the cost of shipping. Jim in Dallas 75214

Not yet, I am hoping someone will let me know. If not, I will measure up the one that Jim is sending me and let you know. Maybe I can source out a welding shop that would make these for us. Sounds like they might be in demand!