Rear axel seal question

Aaron

If the bearing cup fits loose in the axle housing it may be that the cup is slightly undersized on it's OD or the housing is slightly oversize in it's ID. You could use a center punch and make several small punch marks around the ID of the axle housing. This will help hold the bearing cup tighter.

If any gear oil is leaking out at the end of the axles this indicates a leaking inner seal. The only way to correct it is to pull out the axle and replace the inner seal. At that time inspect the sealing surface of the axle and install a speedy sleeve if necessary. Then repack the bearing with grease and reassemble, check the free play and adjust as needed. If your bearing adjustment is loose then the axle won't sit perfectly in the middle of the hole and could cause the seal to not make contact all the way around the shaft, which would cause it to leak. And recheck your axle breather to be sure it breaths as it should.

Merle

If you have a loose race issue a good fix is to install it with Loctite Sleeve Retainer. It will fill a small gap and greatly improve a loose press fit. It will be harder to remove in the future, but the results are great. I have used it in many applications and it is magic. Staking works OK, but I personally prefer to use it as a last resort as it creates a permanent mark/distortion.

Just my thoughts.

I just installed a 3:54 pumkin in my Pilothouse. I have a complete rear that is 4:56 ratio, in working order - needs to be reassembled, complete with axles and brakes/drums. If anyone can use this, it's yours for the taking. Please don''t ask me to ship this puppy - it's HDAVY!

Good Luck