Added 12V power outlet

DonaldSmith

I have a spare 6V battery, which I bought a few years ago for bench-testing my radio. Since I have the extra battery anyway, I figured out how to use it to provide 12V negative ground for cell phones, GPS, etc.

I mounted the extra battery on the right inner fender, like the main battery is on the left. I made sure it cleared the radiator hose elbow and some tubing. I added a metal shield to the bottom of the battery tray and up the one side, since the exhaust manifold is so close.

I connected the negative post of the extra battery to ground, and the positive post to the center of the new power outlet. Power from the main battery goes to the shell of the outlet. (The new power outlet is is encased in rubber, so the shell is isolated, and there won't be any short circuits.) The combination provides 12V negative ground at the outlet. (Grounding the (-) of one battery and the (+) of the other is the same as connecting them together in series.) I also put a 10 amp circuit breaker on each lead of the outlet.

While I was at it, I fitted both batteries with disconnect-style cable clamps. I really didn't have to to this to get the outlet, but it makes the batteries quickly interchangeable. I also fitted each battery with a connection for the trickle charger. I'll likely be charging up the extra battery every now and then.