a pilothouse made the cover

wallytoo

of the 2009 january/february issue of "Vintage Truck"

a '53 3/4-ton, sort of original, although some additions for modern driving. appears to have added l.e.d.-type lights to the front parking light locations, and made them dual-purpose as directionals.

added bumper guards, although they are clearly originally for a center guard on the '48-'50 trucks (the guards have an access hole for a hand-crank), changed to 12-volt, and a few other things.

still, a nice looking truck. learned a few things (i think), such as the '53 had a wider-spaced d-o-d-g-e namplate above the grille than the earlier ph's, and the bed had full-size rear fenders.

Thanks for the heads up. There is only one independent store in town that carries Vintage Truck, so I don't always see it. Will go get a copy.

I have a '53. The running boards are unique to just that year as is the D-0-D-G-E nameplate as you said. Makes 'em difficult to replace. Fortunately the big rear fenders continued up to the 1980's trucks.

• 2 weeks later...
There's also a nice article on our distributors in the same issue...

yup, by moses ludel, who's written a lot of automotive-related technical articles over the years, and published a few books.

there's also usually an article every month about the ongoing resto of the publisher's (ertel) dodge pickup, a '46 i think.