steering Wheel to floor hieght

MMcKinney

Anyone out there have a moment to measure your 1953 B3B steering wheel to floor hieght? I have tossed my oginal column and misplaceed or forgot to get that measurement. Maybe measure from the steering wheel center down the column to the floor board at the base of the column. Also the diameter of the steering wheel would be nice too.

Thanks

MMcKinney

Caldwell, ID

Thanks greay beard,

This will help, but I really need the measurment of how long the actual steering staft is sticking out from the floor to the steering wheel top (floor to horn center or mount). That way I know how long I need to make the replacement sterring column. Also what year is you truck? Are the columns all the same length for each year of truck?

MMcKinney

Caldwell, ID

Measuring from the floor board parallel to the column and immediately next to it up to and including the horn button, my B1B (1948) column measures 30 1/4-inches in length protruding into the cab. And yes, all B model pickup columns are the same length. Later years used a column shift but the length remained the same.

I'm pretty sure the 48-50 truck had a more vertical column than the 51-53's. This is determined by the legnth of the dash to column support bracket (there are two different legnths) and the frame holes where the steering box mounts to the chassis. My 49 has an almost horizontal wheel up much higher than the one in my 53 parts truck. Mike