Safety steering column

DonaldSmith

I'm looking into modifying my '47 steering column to look stock but colllapse if ever called upon to do so. One grisly photo was enough.

I've seen steering column implants with tilt and all the other modern acutrements, but I want mine to look stock, with the stock steering wheel. Maybe I'll keep the column stock down past the shifters. Then I have about 12 inches to the top of the steering box to do something. They sell collapsible steering columns for racers, and they sell universal joints, etc, and the salvage yards must be full of good pickings. Maybe even think rack and pinon.

First, I'd like to get the steering column out, to measure everything and figure out what to do. Can someone post a diagram of the steering column and explain how it comes out? I've read of people cutting off the tube and re-welding it later. I would rather get it out in one piece, in case I get cold feet and want to put it back in.

Has anyone made their stock steering column collapsible, or have any info on doing it?

The steering column and box are basically one piece and have to come out that way and then be broken down after it's out.

I have the one from my 50 DeSoto parts car and I'm going to take a close look to see if a collapsible section can reasonably be put in.

On my 49 Chrysler, the design of the dash makes a modern column install tricky and I need to retain the column shift. A friend suggested a mid-80's Chebby van column with the 3 on the tree so I may buy one to have a look see.

Another option is going with a modern automatic with an aftermarket electronic shift selector and a modern column with no lever at all topped by the original wheel.

I'll leave it all original if there is no feasible way to accomplish this but I'm sure going to check into it while I have the time.

Collapsible stering columns became mandatory in 1967, and steering column locks appeared in 1970 on Mopars and Fords; 1969 on GM. Vans and pickups got steering column locks in the early seventies. That gives a basic time window to match up a column without having the lock cylinder housing on it.

I'd look for a late-sixties B- or C- body floor shift column and box assembly(length measurement being the key dimension), then find a way to mount it to your chassis and mate it to your steering linkage.

A lot of engineering went into making collapsible columns work, and I don't think it's wise to 'reinvent the wheel' from both a safety and liability perspective.

Just my .02.....

Harold