Hi guys, I’m working on getting a 50 Plymouth special deluxe back on the road, and I’m almost there.
The last issue I’m fighting with, is a nasty hesitation/lag/stumble off idle.
This only occurs when warm, and the automatic choke has opened up.
I’ve gone through the following:
- Rebuilt the carter carb, and I’m getting a great spray from the accelerator pump.
- Replaced points, condenser, cap and rotor, plugs and wires.
- Checked vacuum advance at distributor - all ok.
- Measuring around 20in of vacuum at wiper port on manifold.
- Played with base timing - no real change:
If I disconnect the auto choke rod, and wire the choke plate almost shut - I have great throttle response. This suggests to me a lean condition, but I’d appreciate any input!
Oh and it starts and idles perfectly.