Weather Stripping or Rubber on hood

splat1955

I've noticed that both sides of my hood sit low up along the edge closest to the windshield along the cowl. Looking at both the hood edge and where it sits it looks as though there should be some kind of rubber or weather stripping along that edge. I can't seem to find anything in manual about it. I've got the rubber bumpers along the edge that sits on the fenders so that edge sits fine and the body lines are good..but the rear edge sits low. Can anyone tell me either if there should be some kind of rubber or something back there or how I can adjust to get it to sit even with the cowl....Thanks.

Thanks Bob......You know, I did notice what looked like " nail heads" into the cowl and suspected they might have held something there. Some of the heads are up an 1/8 of an inch or so.....others are flush with cowl. Once I have found the lacing, do I pull those nails out and reinstall them? Or do I have to purchase new? Haven't really seen these before so I have no idea. Also, who or what is Roberts...do they have a website or is it an individual. I'd really like to get the lacing hoping that will make that end of the hood line up flush with the cowl. Any info is apprecaited....Thanks.

Brian

There is a hood to cowl lacing that is usually nailed to the cowl. Roberts has it.

TheRoberts information is at

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/index.html

and those "nails" are really a split rivet and must be removed. When I ordered the fender filler from Roberts, that came with a supply of those brass rivets. I have no idea what kind of tool that it takes to flare that split end and I gave up after two trys and switched to pop rivets. However on the windlace under the hood, I would figure out how to make them work because they are visible and pop rivets would look out of place.

Dennis Sullivan

Excellent info Dennis! Thanks a bunch...now I understand the nail.....and yeah, I'd like to get them to work....I may try to pull one out...gently....just to see if they can be reused...if not, then I guess I might find access to the area under then nail where?...I've never really gotten into this area of the car yet.....only had it about 3 weeks but am learning from you guys on a daily basis...again, thanks.

Brian

TheRoberts information is at

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/index.html

and those "nails" are really a split rivet and must be removed. When I ordered the fender filler from Roberts, that came with a supply of those brass rivets. I have no idea what kind of tool that it takes to flare that split end and I gave up after two trys and switched to pop rivets. However on the windlace under the hood, I would figure out how to make them work because they are visible and pop rivets would look out of place.

Dennis Sullivan