Type & Size of Fuse for '48 Clock

splat1955

Hey Guys,

I was messing around with the clock in my '48 D24 cause it doesn't work (imagine that)....and found what looks to be a fuse holder in the wiring to the clock. Anyway, popped it open and it's empty. Now, I'm not optimistic that putting the correct fuse in will make the clock suddenly start working, but I have to start somewhere and my manual won't be here till mid-week. Can anybody tell me what type, style, etc. fuse is used for the clock? Going to town later and figured I'd pick one up if they have 'em at napa. Thanks guys.

The fuse is for the back light of the clock. There is another wire going to the negative terminal of the clock solenoid. In that wire there is no fuse. Thus the missing fuse should not be the reason for the clock not ticking.

Mine was not either working and some weeks ago I took the back cover off to have a look. Fortunately I noticed that an internal wire from the power terminal to solenoid end had come apart from a soldered connection. After melting it back together and carefull cleaning the mechanism with pressure air and CRC spray oil the clock ticks again. It also keeps right time!

Well, the fuse... I still do not have a fuse in the holder. I recall it should be 2,5A and lenght could be measured by the holder dimensions, but I haven't had time to find one yet.

Hmmmmm, just to confirm what I remember from last night while playing with the clock, I went out to the garage just now...and I'd have to say then that you and I have different clocks. I have 3 wires going to my clock....on is definitely a back light.....and with my lights on , it's working and there is no fuse inline with it. The back light actually sits off center just behind the face of the clock. Then I have the other 2 main wires that go into the rear of the clock.....to the 2 terminals on the back. One has an inline fuse holder, the other doesn't. Does anyone out there have the wiring schematic for these cars that can take a look....or is it listed anywhere in the shop manual?

It would be a 2 amp fuse. problem is, it is a short (not shorted:D , but short. fuse has to be shorted or it wouldn't work) only 5/8" long. Pretty much standard diameter 1/4" A fuse will likely not fix it . It will need a good cleaning and some very light lubrication at the proper points.

You can take the little cover off the back and apply power to the terminal that the missing fuse lead goes to using a fused pigtail of your choice. The clock winds only when the contacts inside close. It ticks for a while until the contacts close and it winds again. Over and over, every minute or so.

Backlight is hard wired in with all the other lighting.Page 104 for the schematic when you get your manual.

Hey, thanks Shel....Okay, where are you talking about being the proper points for the light lubricant.....not sure if you meant on the clock or after cleaning the fuse holder. Also, can I just hook a wired aligator clip to the hot end of the fuse holder, then run the other end to the terminal that the fused wire would have gone to....just to test it....or should I have it fused just to test? And should I hear anything once I've connected the 2 points? If I connect for a minute or 2 with no fuse....and I see no movement from the minute hand, is there anything else I can do to get the clock working? I don't mind trying....might be a good project for this evening.