Carter B&B carb leak

wdoland

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update my carburetor problem of leaking. I tried everything I could think of to fix the leak to no avail. I bit the bullet and ordered another rebuild kit from Mikes Carburetor Parts. As I was rebuilding, I found a small piece of broken off of the spacer that goes between the float bowl assembly and the throttle body. I replaced the broken spacer with one from another carb I had and finished the rebuild. This piece might not have let it be tightened down enough without warping and leaking past the gasket. 

All is well now with no leaks! It doesn't downshift from 4th to 3rd when I put the petal to the floor but I think it's just an adjustment in the linkage.

Thanks for all the responses

Wayne 

• Like 1

For the "kick-down" function, the full throttle position closes the downshift switch on the carburetor, to ground the solenoid, or something like that. 

It might just be an adjustment of the throttle linkage, to close the switch when the (technical terms follow:) gas pedal is tromped.  Such was the case with my 47 DeSoto.  I had to push the pedal through the floor to get the car to downshift.  Now I just have to compress the carpet halfway. 

Congrats on the carb work.   Tweak that throttle adjustment and you'll have more to brag about. 

• Like 2