B1C brake question

I replaced the wheel cylinder on the right front of my 1948 B1C pickup. Shoes and drums both looked good and the cams turn as they should. I cleaned everything up put the new break cylinder on, replaced the break drum, adjusted the cams so that both the front and rear shoes just contact the drums with very light resistance, I could still easily turn the hub. After I got it bled I got ready to take it for a test drive. Before I got out of the shop I noticed that when I used the breaks, the right front break wanted to hang up but would release as soon as you back up. I tried this several times with the same results. After getting it to release I jacked it up and the wheel spun freely. I next applied the breaks and then went back out to turn the wheel. As before the break wanted to drag. However as soon as I turned the wheel backwards the break released and the wheel spun freely again. Is there a chance that the return spring is maybe getting weak? Any other ideas? Thanks Steve   

Did you replace the flex line to the backing plate?  Was this a NOS cylinder and did you look inside to see if there was any internal rust or pitting?  Were the pivots on the eccentrics clean and the felt / steel retainers cleaned and lubed?