1948 Dodge B1B Picup Rear End

Your pendjo

I would like to replace the rear end in my 1948 dodge truck. The rear end ratio in the truck is in the high fours around 4.78. I would like something  around 3.55. I would like to get a good highway gear and still be able to use it as a truck. Does anyone have any thoughts or rear ends for sale? The rear end in the truck looks like the 8 3/4 style. I thought the 8 3/4 did not come out until around 1955.

Search the forums for axle swaps. Cherokee, Ranger, Dakota are common donors. 2 new spring perches and bolt it in. If you have the original ball and trunnion universal joints, you're going to need a new driveshaft. And I have yet to see a driveshaft shop that will build a ball and trunnion on one end and regular u-joint on the other, so you'll need a different output yoke.

Center section out of a car will bolt in if you get the correct number of side gears unit and the axle shaft spline count is the same. Not many people willing to part with a center section.

I saw where you were looking for an engine and transmission. Get the latest model you can find, one that takes a normal u-joint, get a rear axle assembly from a V8 Cherokee and call it good. Or go ahead and hot rod it up a bit, if you can find a Mirada or older police Diplomat (late 70s to mid  80s) with a factory V8, get the whole thing as a donor. Track down a copy of the old Tex Smith book How to Build Hot Rod Trucks, walks you through a power train, front clip and interior swap.

Edited by Scruffy49