Cheap OD?

PhilJohnson

I have a Gyromatic trans in my Dodge. I've managed to get the bugs sorted out of it. The car seems to be geared pretty low. I almost never use low range. The last time I used low was to pull my mom's 2001 GMC Safari Van back home. I couldn't even tell the van was back there :eek: I want to get better fuel economy out of the Dodge, that low gearing seems to be a bit of a waste. So I have an idea to use the rear end out of my AMC Eagle. It has I think a 2.32 or a 2.54 rear ratio. I would no longer be able to start in high range but theoretically it should give me the equivalent of running an OD. It would screw up my speedo calibration, any ideas about some potential fixes for that? I would like to get about 20 mpg if I can instead of the 15 or less I get now. Any thoughts?

Have you done a forum search looking for what differential ratios are best suited for these engines? Have you calculated what your engine RPM's would be using these ratios at any given speed?

Follow this link, scroll down to the calculator and plug in your numbers.

http://www.ply33.com/Misc/speed