Qestion on non-radio trucks...

So I've read numerous times that the radio was a rare option. So my question is; if trucks without a radio came with a radio delete plate (in place of the radio), then what was installed in place of the speaker? I've not seen one photo on the forum of anyone's truck having anything but a speaker in the dash.

Thanks,

Bryan

I have no idea. They really just put the grille in with nothing at all behind it? I assume my truck had a radio, as it does have a speaker. The radio was either removed for some reason & never replaced or it was stolen. I got curious after looking at the '49 I posted yesterday. It is just like mine; hole in the dash with no radio but a speaker on the other side.

Bryan

My understanding is for non-radio trucks, the factory installed a speaker grill with black paper backing behind it; no speaker.

On my truck, I replaced the black paper backing with new backing cut from the side of a 12 pack I was working at the same time I was working on the truck.