Question about door handle escutcheons

Eric Hooper

Can anyone tell me how to remove the exterior door handle escutcheons? I bought nicer door handles for my 47 Dodge but the better handles have different escutcheons trim than my original. I want to swap them but can't figure out how. Any help is appreciated. 

You have a small 'tin cup' on the shaft with a dent - on the inside side, at the base of the handle?  That dent corresponds to a dent in the shaft which holds it in place.  I usually try to grab it with a wrench and twist it, but I've also used a dremmel tool to drill out the dent.  if you dremmel it, use the other side of the cup when you go to re-crimp it on the new handle.

I'd post a pic but don't have a handle handy...  :)  Hope the description helps!

Here's a picture that shows the dent.  I also made a tool to help reattach to the new handle, its just a 3/4" aluminum pipe with a window cut in it.  If you can find someone who trusts you completely, have them hold it together while you hammer a new dent into it.

pic 1.jpg