question about lower control arm bushing

splat1955

Hey guys,

I know some of you have gone through your suspension....and I have a question.

The front lower control arm bushing on the drivers side of my Dodge had a grease zerk on it. Not like one that can be removed with a socket, but looks as though it was part of the bushing. The one on the rear of the drivers side is the same. On my passengers side lower control arm, the bushings have removeable zerks...just like most zerks I have seen, and just like the rest of the zerks on my suspension.

Anyway, as I said, the bushing on the drivers side lower control arm, the front bushing had a zerk..but it's been broken off...I didn't do it....but I tried to get some grease in there and most of it came right back out at me.

My question is....without tearing the control arm out and messing too much with the pivot bar, and since the bushing will accept a socket, can I back that bushing out do what work I need on it...maybe drill, tap and screw in a new zerk? Or can I buy a new bushing and just thread it in? I've got the car in the air right now, with the lower control arms disconnected from the steering knuckle support cause I pulled me springs to do some work, so now is the best time for me to tackle this problem. Or, am I stuck with that bushing until I go through the whole front end. I might be able to tap and install a zerk while it's still in the control arm, but taking it out would make it a whole lot easier. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I think what I would recommend is to buy a new bushing and just replace it. What one person here did was thread the new one in one side as the old was being backed out the other side, which you can do without taking everything apart. That puts the grease Zerk on the other side but that doesn't matter.

Then, it's done and you don't have to screw around with it any more. When you go through the front end, that's one part that you won't need to replace.

I just did my front end and that's what I would do.

Your mileage may vary ;)

Hey Pat,

Hmmmm, not sure we are talking about the same bushing......There is no other side on mine...I mean to say, that the lower control arm bar has a bushing on one side, and a bushing on the other....with the bar in between...

Maybe I'm reading what you wrote wrong?

I'm looking at my manual, page 13.....and part # 4 is the bushing I want to remove while everything else is still together. Is it possible to remove that bushing, then put it back in without any special tools or doing anything else....or even putting in a new bushing. I guess I should first ask if you have a manual to see what I'm talking about.....sorry.

I think what I would recommend is to buy a new bushing and just replace it. What one person here did was thread the new one in one side as the old was being backed out the other side, which you can do without taking everything apart. That puts the grease Zerk on the other side but that doesn't matter.

Then, it's done and you don't have to screw around with it any more. When you go through the front end, that's one part that you won't need to replace.

I just did my front end and that's what I would do.

Your mileage may vary ;)

AHHH ok, right church, wrong pew. Yes, I think you can remove that inner bushing (#32)without any trouble. I was thinking of the OUTER bushing...thanks Greg.

Replace it with a new one or repair that one...up to you. If the old is worn to badly put in a new one but also replace the bushing on the other end of the bar.

Hey Thanks Shel....and Pat....I never even considered that someone may have a totally different numbering system or be looking in a Chrysler manual....Sorry...I should have posted a pic like Shel did. Okay, anyway, so you think it's safe to pull that bushing? Cause that's what I'd like to do.....Anyone else feel like chiming in? I'd sure like to get a lot of feedback on this one. I think Pats right, but the manual is kind of confusing on the whole issue...they talk about replacing the whole control arm and the steps for replacing the bushing if going that route. And they talk about just putting the whole thing back together....again, if the control arm is out..but nothing specifically on just replacing one bushing. I'm a little hesitant about just yanking it out of there.

After just doing mine according to the book, next time I will do what you want to do because the bar was fine, just the bushings could have been replaced one at a time. The rubbers would not be possible to replace without removing the bar.

The only real advantage was I was able to clean and paint the suspension parts and the frame.

You should be OK working on one at a time.