P-15 Cowl Vent

CNP934DC

I just finished installing new cowl lacing on my '48 and new cowl vent rubber gasket. To install the gasket, I loosened 4 phillips screws behind the vent screen, (keyhole set-up), and slid the unit upwards to give myself room to do the work. Now I can't get the screen to slide back into it's original position. Seems hung up somewhere and I can't see any obstruction under the dash. Did I do something stupidly wrong?

did you by chance move the inside lever? the unit has a shut then latch position..adjustment is usually made at bottom travel and then the last point is the locking in place..puts the panel under pressure to seal out elements. If you adjusted this while in latched position on the lever..odds are it will not fully close..at least this was my findings on my Plymouth..

I was actually able to close and lock the vent panel down on the new rubber gasket. But, the screen inside is not lined up with the screw holes so not tighytened down. I don't know....open it lets air in, and closed its water tight. Maybe just leave it alone until it's show ready. LOL

I just replaced my gasket on my '49. The four screws you are talking about connect to a hinge on either side of the vent, with your lever in the middle. I think all you need to do is to reach up under you dash and just push each of the hinges open. When you disconnect the screws, the backplate on the hinge travels down because nothing is holding it (just as it would when you close the vent). When you push them back up, you should have the part of the hinged peice that is past the pivot (engine side) almost exactly flush with the bottom of the vent. The screened peice is a pretty tight fit, so pushing it back down is probably also pushing the hinged peice down. The "handup" has to be on the hinged peice itself, there is nothing else there.

If needed, I can snap a picture from underneath this weekend, for uplaod Monday. But once you find and move the hinges from under the dash, it will al become obvious, I think.

Here is a shot of the passenger side cowl vent hinge from under the dash. You can see that the flat part of the hinge should be above the inset in the cowl vent. I think if you reach under the dash and push the hinge upward, your holes will line up. If you have you linkage attached, the vent won't move much and the friction should hold the part inplace long enugh for you to attach it from the front......

Sorry, the file is too big. PM me with your email if you need it and I'll end it to you.

• 11 years later...

Can someone please post a pic of the hinge portion of the cowl vent.  it looks like there are 4 screw holes (2 on either side) of the vent that go thru a slotted part that is fixed tot he car.  I tried using 4 screws but it doesnt seem to work.  THank you