Need Part Number 1950 -1960 Plymouth

James_Douglas

Hi All,

Ca someone with a Master Parts book for Plymouth (1950-1960) see if they can find a part number for the following:

"Spreader Spring"

This was used on some Plymouth and other cars in the 3-speed transmission. If goes between the Synchronization unit and the front bronze synchro gear. It is about a thick as a sheet of paper, made of copper or bronze and is tempered. It has three little arms that put pressure against the front stop ring to keep it held off the Synchro clutch.

Some books show it and some do not. The one in my unit should never have been put back in as two of the three arms are missing some of their material and therefore the front stop ring was being pressed off center or off perpendicular to the main shaft.

Thanks all, James

• Thanks 1

No, it is shot. Look at the three "arms" that seem to be used to push the stop ring away from the synchro clutch. Two of the three arms are broken off and so it puts an off sided load on it. The odd thing is that many manuals and diagrams don't show it. It is not in the master parts book for 46-48 Deosto. I don't know if it is used just in later cars, only Plymouth used it, only in boxes with OD, or what ?

IMG_0593_resize.jpg

Bill,

Thanks, but that is not it. That is the 3 little levers that go onto the synchro cam and the wire springs.

The item I am looking for the part number for is paper thin and goes between the cam and the synchro stop ring.

Do you see the following 1115576 ?

Thanks, James

According to my 46-56 parts manual, the number you have is the syncroniser spreader spring 1946-56 (std trans) plymouth, 46-56 dodge (std trans) and 46-51 chrysler (std trans)

Allan

Allan,

Perfect! Just what I needed. I can see a note I think, but I cannot make it out on the bottom. Can you tell me what the note says ?

Since I see the part in some places and not others I am wondering if it is used on the just the non-OD trans or only used with the OD trans. Several other MOPAR parts books do not show it.

Thanks, James

• 3 years later...

Do you know where to find transmission parts for my 1950 Dodge semifluid drive? I need the synchronizers. It's a strut type transmission. I am also looking for the spreader spring #1115576. I am also looking for the 1st and reverse part number 853886. Also, the reverse idler gear part number 952244. I am also looking for the gear shifting rails for the 1st and reverse and 2nd and direct. The transmission casing number is 1139152-2 and the tail number is 1138238-9. If anyone knows where to buy these parts for a reasonable price, please let me know. Thank you very much. -Art