218 to 230

I know this has been discussed before... I'll probably overhaul my engine this winter. A friend gave me a 230 out of a '55 1-ton. I want to keep my truck number-matching so I don't want to use the 230 block. I understand I can convert my 218 to a 230 by using the 230 crank, rods, and flywheel. Do I need to use anything else from the 230?

I know this has been discussed before... I'll probably overhaul my engine this winter. A friend gave me a 230 out of a '55 1-ton. I want to keep my truck number-matching so I don't want to use the 230 block. I understand I can convert my 218 to a 230 by using the 230 crank, rods, and flywheel. Do I need to use anything else from the 230?

I think that is all, check here to see this conversion:

http://www.50plymouth.com/04-eng/eng.html

crank and rods will make a 218 a 230. Check the crank flange thickness Some are thicker on the 230. I did not run into it on my p 26 engine but the fluid drive cars have meatier stuff. some flywheels are cut to maku pu the difference. the 218 flywheel will fit the 230 crank even though you don't need all the bolt holes fluid drive had an 8 bolt because of the extra weight of the FD unit. But you will have a puzzel of getting the holes to line up as they are indexed so the flywheel only bots on one way.

another thought....... Mill the boss containing the engine number on the 230 engine, than stamp in your 218 number, who's gonna know but you and me???

• 2 weeks later...

.......and me. But, for a dollar, I won't tell.:D

I say rebuild the 230. You have two complete engines right? Rebuild the 218 at a later date. As long as the "numbers matching" parts are under the same roof, its still the real deal. Maybe it'll save a few headaches. Let me know If I can help.

48D

Jim,

This question has plagued this forum for quite a few years. I have read every archival thread and to my best knowledge no one has ever answered it satisfactorily - just lots of "local wisdom."

When I overhauled my 218, I had an extra engine to use for parts. According to the engine numbers - T306 - it was a later 218, and it had the same part number stamped on the connecting rods as my 218. Strangest thing is that this engine had come from a '53 pilothouse with fluid drive. I took the fluid coupler off of the crank myself, so I am sure of this. Yet this engine had eight bolt holes in the crank flange - a sure sign, according to many posts on this forum - that it was really a 230.

If you do the swap - crank and rods - PLEASE come back and let us know what really is the difference in the crank flywheel flange. If the flange is thicker on the 230, then a different flywheel is needed. This would mean you couldn't use a fluid drive 230 on a stick 218 because you would not have the needed flywheel.

I tried my best to learn this stuff on this forum twice - even gave crank and rod stamping numbers, etc., but at this point I rather believe no one who really knows or has done this personally - is telling.

Sure would be good to know.:)

At this point, I'm going to stay with my 218 block and head and use the crank, rods, and flywheel (and, anything else I discover I need along the way) from the 230. I'm reasonably sure these are both original engines, so I should be able to determine the real differences between a 218 and a 230. My 218 is a three speed with fluid drive. I'm hoping I can still use the 218 bellhousing because the pedal attachment is different on my 230, because it's a '55. By then they had moved the pedals to the frame rail.

• 11 years later...

I'm putting a 1946 power wagon engine in a 36 Dodge pickup. The crank was different. Had 8 holes instead of 4 and is slightly longer. maybe 3/16 to 1/4 inch. So the clutch won't fit in the bellhousing now that was on the 36. I have an old 218 engine (25 inch block) and bell housing from a 38 Dodge pickup. I measured and the 38 bellhousing has more room inside for the clutch. Everything else looks like it will fit. So I'll be switching them.