3-speed with OD bearing Question

James_Douglas

It appears that one of the bearings on my transmission has a bad spot on it. That is the consensus of a repair person I trust as well as two bearing houses.

I am looking for anyone that has photos of the original bearings in a 3-speed and/or overdrive units. The 3 speed with OD has three large bearing in it.

What I am looking for is the bearing numbers as well as if one side has a splash plate or full shield.

Unfortunately the factory part numbers do not reference to any of the bearing suppliers numbers.

Industrial archeology is a big part of what we are all doing on this forum, I hope that someone can help me out here.

Thanks, James

James,

Where are the bearings in question located in the tranny:

main-shaft input/output, OD , counter-shaft ?

Ball-bearing, roller-bearing, or caged-needle ?

Is your tranny an R-7 or R-10 ?

I would be happy to pull my R-7 down to take a look for bearing numbers, if that would help you ....

One of my local bearing houses (Bearings & Drives, Unlimited), has been able to match-up bearings based on dimension...

I just took a look in my '41-'48 De Soto shop manual, page 149, and the cross-section photo of the 3-speed manual tranny shows a shielded ball-bearing on the input shaft (illustration key # 33: "drive pinion bearing"), installed with the shield facing the inside of the tranny. There is a non-shielded ball-bearing at the rear end of the tranny case ( illus. key # 44: "main shaft rear bearing"), and and finally, a third ball-bearing (unshielded) at the rear end of the extension housing ( illus. key # 49: "extension bearing").

It appears that the front bearing is the only shielded unit in the tranny.

Regards,

De Soto Frank

Hi Guys,

I have a 1955 source Chrysler factory part numbers. Bill thanks,...only one of your three numbers is the same as the MOPAR numbers in the manual I have on my desk. Got to love it !

What I am looking for is the bearing maker (BCA, Temkin, SKF, other) and their part number from a set of "known" orginal bearings.

One of my bearings has a shield, however, since the unit was torn down and "rebuilt" with "new heavy duty bearings" I have no way of knowing what the original bearings in these units are.

Assuming the bearings in my unit are correct, and I cannot be sure of that, I would like to identify by original bearing maker numbers the correct bearings.

I will then proceed to secure new bearings.

Thanks for the help, James

James,

Here are pictures of the three beaings I replaced in my overdrive transmission. Bearings nos 1 and 2 have shields on one side, bearing no.3 does not. Only bearing no.2 has a retaining slot. As far as I know they are originals. None of the replacement bearings I got from Northwest Transmission had shields.

Overdrivebearings001.jpg

Overdrivebearings002.jpg

Overdrivebearings004.jpg

The information on each bearing is as follows:

N0.1: MRC 206

N0.2: MRC 207 SFG

N0. 3: Federal 1207

Hope this helps.

Jim Yergin

Jim,

Bearing number 3, on the far right in the photo, is the front bearing which has the ring groove in it...

From the photo it does NOT have one side sealed, like the rear bearing, and so is open on both sides. Is this last sentence correct ?

There is a drain back hole in the input shaft housing and a hole in the trans case that the service manual tells to to make sure you line up. Therefore, I am assuming that they expect oil to flow past the bearing into the housing and then back into the case.

The GA supplied bearing on the front has a full shield on the front and so the reason for my question.

Best, James

James,

Sorry but I did not keep track of the placement of the three bearings. I just arbitrarily assigned numbers for the pictures. You are correct that bearing number 3 is open without any shields. However it does not have a retaining groove. Only bearing number 2 has a groove and it has a shield on one side.

Jim Yergin

Ok,

The bearing with the groove is the front one. When on the input shaft, it slides into the case from the inside and stops at the ring. I assume that the shield is on the opposite side from the ring groove.

The center one sits in the cast center housing, one side against the cast and one against the gears so I see no use for a shield on this bearing.

The rear bearing of your and mine has a shield on the back side. I assume that some amount of oil must get past the shield or the rear seal would cook on a dry shaft.

Jim, thanks very much. Once I get new good numbers on the bearings, I will post them for all.

Best, James

1505652-front

670776-roller-1483755-retainer center bearing

1484594-rear bearing

Are these the #s you have?

Bill

Bill, I was just reading over James thread about the bearings and sometimes I look up numbers from this Mopar number decoder just to see if and what it shows. Check out those numbers in the quote here and the yrs and cars that go with them on the decoder.

http://lightningjar.com/decoders/

Hi James,

Could you clarify for me which version of the OD you have:

R-7 semi-electric ('39-'40; centifugal up-shift, electric kick-down; no governor can on OD) or R-10 full-electric ('49-'5?, electric up-shift & down- shift, 2 cans on OD: one is governor, other is kick-down solenoid) ?

I realize that your tranny might be put together differently than the ones pictured in my shop manuals (pre-1948, De Soto and MoToR's), but my books show the "Main drive gear (input shaft) bearing" installed through the front of the case, with the retaining-ring remaining on the outside (front) of the tranny case, and the shielded side facing the interior of the tranny.

The "Main Drive Gear bearing retainer" ( "funnel" w/ 3 or 4 cap-screws) keep the front bearing in place.

From what I remember from having the e-brake drum off my '48 NY'er ( M-5 tranny), the rear ball-bearing has a steel "cage" on either side of the balls, but it is not a full shield (Same goes for that main-shaft rear bearing between the tranny-case and the OD section).

That tranny had a felt seal at the rear, which would retain enough oil to "not get cooked".

If someone put a fully-sealed bearing at the rear of the extension housing, then the factory seal almost becomes superfluous: the bearing is permanently-lubricated and sealed, and therefore, no gear-lube should be able to get past that... ( not saying this is a good way to be set-up; just "saying"....)

Hope you find what you're looking for !

None of my local Mom'n'Pops have bearing books that cover the OD tranny; I've been asking !

Frank