My George Asche Transmission with OD

James_Douglas

I have completed tearing down and inspecting every component of the 3-speed with overdrive I purchased from Geroge Asche. I found a number of very interesting things in both the transmission and the overdrive.

In my personal opinion what I received for my approximately $1700 was a somewhat working core, but not anything close to what in my opinion is a "rebuilt" transmission.

In order to make the Asche transmission fit for my needs, I will be replacing approximately 40% of the internal parts so they equal or exceed the directives in the MOPAR factory service manuls I have on hand.

Anyone who wishes to discuss my findings in detail can send me a PM and I will give you my phone number. You can call and I would be glad to discuss the 19 items of concern in my findings.

Best, James

Well,there are some bold statements. It should be interesting to see the responses.

at my work (automatic doors) our vendors, sometimes clean the gearboxes and lube all moving parts and seal it with new gaskets. that is suppossedly a rebuilt unit. I dissagree with thst statement. when you replaced a damage old units, sometimes the "rebuilt" units makes more noise than the old broken down unit. (eventhough it may work better) But I wouldn't call it a rebuilt unit, some people think it's enough done to call it that...my too cents..:eek:

If you are going to tear down every component... why didn't you just rebuild it yourself? Or are you just looking for something to complain about and/or point at yourself as the resident expert/quality assurance representative?

"In order to make the Asche transmission fit for my needs, I will be replacing approximately 40% of the internal parts so they equal or exceed the directives in the MOPAR factory service manuls I have on hand."

I have no idea what your situation is exactly but it seems like you want a custom tranny for a general purpose price and then want to bash someone for it.... Again, why didnt you do it yourself?

I suggest that you read the archives on this subject prior to making comments.

I think George Asche is a wonderful information resource about our engines and transmissions.

However, in this particular case I did not get what I expected. Had I known what would be delivered , I would have just purchased a core and did the rebuild myself or used the M6 and a Gear Vendors OD unit.

There is plenty in the archives detailing what is not working as expected.

I specifically stated when talking to George, and ordering the unit, that I was willing to pay a premium to have it done once and done correct. Either George did not understand what I wanted and/or did not care and just did what he always does. In either case, it was not what I was looking for and what was delivered is not functioning correctly.

He was in fact willing to have me ship the unit back to him, however, I cannot have this particular car down for several months while shipping the transmission across the US at this time. Other than shipping it back, George would not provide another unit in its place so that I could swap it out and not have the car down for months.

I think that is poor customer service, however I am the one who cannot wait on cross country shipment and so the decision to not send it back is mine.

The test transmission that was secured locally has worked fine for a month and therefore clearly shows that the OD unit on the Asche transmission has a problem so I tore it down over the last two weeks.

I found a number of items that the MOPAR service manual says should have bee replaced or dressed. Again, if anyone wants to go into the details, just give me a ring on the phone and I would be glad to go into specifics.

On a personal note, I find it a little ironic on the outpouring of support for someone loosing 2 or 3 hundred dollars on parts not sent, yet I am somewhat vilified when I complain about receiving a $2000 door stop of a transmission.

Sometimes these forums are just amazing.

James

James, I think everyone here is very interested in the "adventure" you are involved with. No-one has vilified you at all, on the contrary, there were dozens of suggestions meant to assist in diagnosing the problem.

I think when you spend 2 grand for something, you should get it, however I also think that when dealing with a very old car and very old components and an equally "experienced" seller, as much as you would like, there are bound to be hiccups along the way...that's just the nature of old cars and older folks sometimes.

On the bright side...and there's always a bright side, you will be a virtual expert on these units and will be able to diagnose and treat just about every ill they would have.

I know that every one of us on the forum would be dropping by to lend a hand in person if it was possible.

We are all rooting for you to find the solution and get back to driving that great old DeSoto

Pat

George built the motor that is now in my 49 the First Time. I provided him with my block, Edgerton Head and CAM, 230 crank, rods and flywheel that I bought from a gent on the board, and he supplied the rest.

George sub let the block to a machine shop for a 100/1000th overbore. That was over 4 years ago. Wanda and I drove to Oil City PA, 538 miles, to pick up the completed motor and it was lubed for storage with a product I got from Sam Memmolo who knows his stuff.

We installed the motor in the car and ran it for 10 min. It was then pulled out for repainting. When the guys pulled the oil pan they found shot peen, commonly used to clean a motor block.

I never once complained to George or anyone else about it. Was 4 years and of that it sat at another shop for 2 years and anyone could have done me a nasty and dumped a hand full into the oil fill tube.

To this day I still consider George my friend and I am proud to say that. He is what he is and that stands alone.

After what I have been through with building the 49 I am just happy to be done, almost.

Howard

I suggest that you read the archives on this subject prior to making comments.

Sometimes these forums are just amazing.

James

No where in your original post did you mention to do a search through the archives. Yet you assume this gentleman wallacedw, a new member no less, should read your mind.

Just as you did with me previously, your arrogance comes through.

I for one am not interested in the results, like wallacedw stated, why didn't you just do it yourself.

Some people you just can't make happy. I am in the service business, trust me, I know.

I'm with you James. I've got to say I don't understand a couple of the other posters attitudes. Hang in there and let us know all your findings. Rebuilt should not include refurbished.

James,

Some of us have been following your problem with your George Asche Trans, Please keep us advised of your findings. I've got to say that I go along with Reg when he said "I don't understand a couple of the other posters attitudes". Come on guys, thanks to gtk, we have the beat Forum going, lets keep it that way.

Dennis

James,

Reg when he said "I don't understand a couple of the other posters attitudes". Come on guys, thanks to gtk, we have the beat Forum going, lets keep it that way.

Dennis

I guess by that you mean we can't share our opinions. I stand by my statement. Although I sympathize with the problem, there are better, more tactful ways to handle it, and to deal with the people who are replying. Course, that's just my opinion. Guess I better keep quiet.

George Asche is a good friend. James Douglas is a good friend. I have had face to face meetings with both of them on more than one occasion. Before James posted this he contacted me asking for my opinion, as he knows both he and George are my friends. I replied that facts are facts. It is what it is.

James may be arrogant at times. But knowing him and seeing his work he is very deserving of that arrogant title. I believe we all have a bit of arrogance in us. I know I do. James has done a good job of reporting the facts in language that should be understandable to all of us.

George Asche also has a lot of creditability. He has rebuilt and sold to many forum members overdrive transmissions and other Mopar Flathead stuff that has not failed. I am personally using his manifolds and carburetors. In this case James did not get what he should have. Unfortunate but it is what it is. These are the facts.

Well that's all well and good. It's good to get facts out.

I believe there is a problem with the tranny, no dispute. And even a bit of arrogance is not a huge fault. I have some myself.

Replying to a new member, as I was way back, and in this case wallacedw like children, or not the brightest light bulb of the bunch is a bit over the edge I would say. Guru or no guru.

I have learned things from James, and many others in this group

Just because a person's work is great does not make,,,,, nah,, never mind.

I hope he gets it fixed, and I am sure he will. And I am sure we will all hear the process.

For $1700.00 ---no matter how it was rebuilt/refurbished/ remanufactured or gone through---- the OD transmission itself should have worked with no problems at all. Bottom line is it was assembled incorrectly and or assembled with worn parts/ improper clearances/worn needle bearings-ball bearings/worn back case/balk ring/solenoids and on and on. Should have been covered/repaired W/ no questions by seller and shipping covered by seller with fast turn around! Keep the non-pain in the ass customers happy! It will make your reputation the best!!!!

Bob

I not taking sides just telling a story happened to me.. My 40 Plymouth was leaking oil between the tail shaft and case... I know it would have to come apart .. I had a good guy in the business (hes 81 yrs old ) owned his own shop still works on diesel transmission etc.. any way I call him and tell him I pulled the trany can he reseal it and look to see why I pop out of 2nd .. we tear it down he inspect tells me everything looks good .. He thought it had very low miles and it might be a linkage problem...

Put it back together .... NO differance... . I ended getting a used PERFECT trany . IF you would of watched the guy like I did you would understand .. As you say you are putting in more parts .. I am sure the man that did your trany would of ate the cost of the parts .. and would of written it off as one of those things .. I think you should too.. sometimes these things happen .... to us all..

Old mechanics need to know when to give er up- I`m getting close!

Bob

I not taking sides just telling a story happened to me.. My 40 Plymouth was leaking oil between the tail shaft and case... I know it would have to come apart .. I had a good guy in the business (hes 81 yrs old ) owned his own shop still works on diesel transmission etc.. any way I call him and tell him I pulled the trany can he reseal it and look to see why I pop out of 2nd .. we tear it down he inspect tells me everything looks good .. He thought it had very low miles and it might be a linkage problem...

Put it back together .... NO differance... . I ended getting a used PERFECT trany . IF you would of watched the guy like I did you would understand .. As you say you are putting in more parts .. I am sure the man that did your trany would of ate the cost of the parts .. and would of written it off as one of those things .. I think you should too.. sometimes these things happen .... to us all..

I disagree. You can't provide a service and say "Tough titty" when you have done an inadequate job. That's not the way good business works. Not to say George had this attitude but shipping a tranny is not cheap.

Best.

ARTHUR

To me the entire story turns on what the definition of rebuilt means. I thought that I was getting a unit that was checked against the specifications of the factory service manual.

Even if the OD had worked every time, I would not have been happy to see that so many parts were either beyond the service manual recommendations or right on the outer boundary of them.

This story would have a different meaning if NOS replacement parts were generally not available or if they cost a fortune. But that is simply just not the case. In a week I was able to locate 75% parts in the unit as NOS. I even found a NOS case. Now, I don't need to replace everything, but I will replace those items as recommended by the factory service manual.

By beef with the vendor is that by my understanding of the term rebuilt, they should have replaced those parts. Or at a minimum, called me and asked if I wanted them replaced.

Not following the factory service manual as a baseline and/or not talking with the customer if choosing not to follow those standards is in my opinion not delivering what was promised.

James

kinda like my arguement when people say they restored a car....

in the ship repair we worked to three levels per custonmer need/money

Overhauled.... with X components replaced regarless of servicability..was done this way to ensure XC number of years troublefree

Rebuilt...where only the marginal or worn parts were replaced..unit worked as designed but the reliabiltiy was not guranteed

Repair To Work....this was basically a clean up with existing parts where the majority of work was on alignement and adjustments only.