49 Plymouth Steering Wheel Adapted To Nova Tilt Column, Hidden Radio

buds truck

I Saw The Awesome Dash Set Up In The P15 And Thought I Would Show What I Did To My 49 Plymouth. I Adapted A 50 Plymouth Steering Wheel To A 72 Nova Tilt Column And Kept The Stock Radio Face With The Delete Option, Hinged It And Put The Cd Player Behind It. It Stays Up With A Cabinet Spring Latch. Looks Stock And Keeps The Flavor Of That Beautiful Dash.

post-2377-13585347875135_thumb.jpg

post-2377-13585347875483_thumb.jpg

post-2377-13585347876109_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I agree, really nice work, my compliments. I would be very interested in the details of how you adapted the steering wheel. I want to use my original 50 Plymouth steering wheel on a later model Mopar column. I can figure out the mounting of the wheel, but getting the original horn button to work on the later column has me stumped.

I just drilled the hole where the chevrolet horn wire would go thru, routed the wire thru the spring and connected it to the contact ring, worked perfectly. If you look at the picture of the steering wheel, you can see I had to manufacture a filler piece as there was about a half inch space between the column and the steering wheel. Would you believe I found that the bottom of a quart paint can is just the right diameter and all I had to do was drill out the center hole, horn wire hole and the 3 stock steering wheel reducer holes found on the 50 steering wheel. it fit like a glove. I sanded it with a piece of scotchbrite and clearcoated it, looks like it was supposed to be there. Bud

so the steering wheel (plymouth) and the chevy tilt share the same spline?

That is a question I have been looking for a while.

thanks for the post

Rich

yes, they share the same spline, but only after I drilled out the plymouth spline hole with an inch bit, turned down a chev steering wheel base to the same, pressed it in and welded both ends. lot of work, but worth the effort. Bud

yes, they share the same spline, but only after I drilled out the plymouth spline hole with an inch bit, turned down a chev steering wheel base to the same, pressed it in and welded both ends. lot of work, but worth the effort. Bud

forgot to add that I restored the steering wheel myself, it had pieces missing over an inch long. quite a task. Bud :D

Very very nice .... a great touch to gain the benefits of a tilt and continue to maintain an original look. Was there any compatibility reason(s) that led you to chose and use a 1950 Plymouth steering wheel and not the 1949 Plymouth steering wheel?

Very very nice .... a great touch to gain the benefits of a tilt and continue to maintain an original look. Was there any compatibility reason(s) that led you to chose and use a 1950 Plymouth steering wheel and not the 1949 Plymouth steering wheel?

the 49 steering wheel I had did not have the removable base where it tapers down to the shaft, but the 50 did. enjoy the rest of the week, wife and I are going camping. Bud :D:D:D