Rear axle seals

Normspeed

This morning I tackled the right rear axle seals on the P24. Got the seals from RockAuto.com, cheap and quick. The job went so well, and with nearly no special tools, I might post it in the tech section, (shade tree tech). I was braced for the worst, but every step worked like it should and the most time was spent cleaning and re-lubing components.

Laugh if you will, but these doodads worked really nicely, an inner seal remover (vise grips and small claw) bearing race installer (an old throwaway extra race) and my fave, inner seal installer made with a bolt, some thick fender washers, a smaller seal driver for centering. Used the old seal for the driver face. BFH is not pictured.

post-64-13585347594089_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585347594381_thumb.jpg

post-64-13585347594704_thumb.jpg

Norm,

I just did this not long ago. I found getting the seals started straight a bit difficult. Distorted them a little while tapping them in. I wound up getting a bearing driver from Auto Zone under their loaner deal. Sounds like your project went a little smoother than mine. I got it done, though and hopefully there will be no leaks. I haven't put oil in the axle yet.

Joe, starting them was tricky, both the inner and outer seals are a pretty tight fit. Took some gentle tapping to get them started straight. One nice thing, my old inner seal was leather and the new one is rubber, so that should last a while.