How much oil from the blowby pipe?

arclightzero

Ok, so being the new guy to the scene, I have to say that I was a bit surprised as to the setup of the blowby pipe. I noted some oil under the car and crawled under to take a look only to find quite a bit of oil on the underside of the car. Not dripping, just a nice coat (hey, helps against corrosion anyway!). On corners or angles, there was lots of old buildup, so I would guess it's nothing new.

Anyway, this is when I figured out that the blowby tube was a downdraft tube. It looked like the oil on the underside of the car was coming from the outlet of the tube, which makes sense, but I guess I'm at a loss as to how much oil loss would be considered "normal." I have had crankcase breathes get fouled before, but I've never contended with a non-filtered pipe like this so I have never noted how much oil actually makes it out the pipe.

Thanks!

Normal is hard to define. All engines are different. Try this. With your engine running remove your oil fill cap. Observe how much (if any) blue smoke comes out the oil fill tube. This is an indiaction of how much blow-by your engine has. If you see a lot of blue smoke then your draft tube will also have a lot coming out of it when your vehicle is at speed. If you see almost no blue smoke then your draft tube should also be somewhat cleaner.

Even with a fresh rebuild, my crankcase breather tube likes to drip. And I went through the top part and thought I had "drip proofed" it. I think it's just one of those quirks of the pre-smog motors.
Even with a fresh rebuild, my crankcase breather tube likes to drip. And I went through the top part and thought I had "drip proofed" it. I think it's just one of those quirks of the pre-smog motors.

Is this a broken record?:confused:

Guest Dave Claussen
Remember when a broken record played on a turn table would repete itself over and over as the break made the needle jump back to the same spot.

Back in the days before CDs we would stack a couple of coins on top of the needle carriage to weight it down enough to make it go past those skippy spots. A little skip would take a couple of pennies but a bad one would take a couple of quarters to make it work. Maybe Norm's got a couple of coins stacked on his computer keys and that's why he had a triple hit on his posting. LOL Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Back in the days before CDs we would stack a couple of coins on top of the needle carriage to weight it down enough to make it go past those skippy spots. A little skip would take a couple of pennies but a bad one would take a couple of quarters to make it work. Maybe Norm's got a couple of coins stacked on his computer keys and that's why he had a triple hit on his posting. LOL Dave

That is a great idea. I have a record player that I use in the garage when I'm working on the truck. The Hank Williams always skips on I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry...

Thanks for the tip!

• 12 years later...