Who's planning to go to Tulsa '07?

blueskies

Plymouth_1.jpg

I know there's a thread on the POC about the big dig happening in Tulsa '07, but there's a different crowd here, that might not read the POC.

And, now that threads can resurface over time on the new forum format, I thought it would be good to have a running tally of folks who may be going, and to help connect along the way.

I made my reservations at the DoubleTree, they still have the group rate for the POC available:

Doubletree Hotel Tulsa Downtown

616 West 7th Street

Tulsa, OK

(918) 587-8000

(800) 222-TREE

07-Tulsa-map.jpg

The Dairyland Region has lots of info on their website, including schedule of events, locations, routes, etc.

More Here.

I have not done any route planning yet, but would like to follow parts route 66 and see a bunch of Americana along the way, in addition to anyone here that is not going but might be on the route.

I also have lots to do with my '50 before taking on such a trip, it's about 1,600 miles one way for me... But the trip of a lifetime for me and my two boys. I have my fingers crossed that it will all come together by June of next year.

Who else is in?

Pete

galenasnow01.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, it's about 100 miles from Joplin to Tulsa. There is some of old Rt 66 that can be driven from here. The route is along 11th Street (i think) in Tulsa. Can an non--POC member sneak in on their group rate? Dtr and son-in-law may come with us.

Click on link to see where the car is buried in front of the court building. Can just barely see the placque on the ground: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/BobT3/Tulsa%20Pics/100_2786.jpg

Here's a pic of the placque itself: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/BobT3/Tulsa%20Pics/100_2789.jpg

This old cafe, the Metro Diner, on 11th St, is probably gone by now due to expansion of the college next door: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/BobT3/Tulsa%20Pics/100_2798.jpg

I'm planning on it. Its about 700 miles for me. There are a few of us from the tall pines region that plan to caravan down that way. I need to get busy and reserve my room. Not sure what vehicle I'll be driving. I'm pretty sure my coupe would make it. I did 540 miles in 3 days a few weekends ago. Oh and I already checked its the weekend before back to the 50s weekend here so I'm set that way too!

Ed

1300 miles one way OK for me but a bit much for Kate. (P15) She says its a long way to go to visit an ugly cousin. I told her it would be more like a family reunion abd there might be some brothers and sisters there as well. That said, if there are some folks from the NE going, and if there might be a convoy for that strenght in numbers thing, we may be arm twisted.

My place in Manitoba to Tulsa is 952 miles straight south on I 29, I could drive down in a day or so get together with some of you, watch the 57 Plymouth get exhumed or rescued it could still be alive. I could make 5 days out of this trip. Just wondering , do you think my Coca cola box I use for a seat in my 48 Chrysler might get uncomfortable...............Fred

Holy Cr*p!!!! Rooms are listed at 200-229 per night. That might put the trip a little over my budget. Maybe I'll have to sleep in the coupe.....

Ed-

I booked my room for three nights, used the POC group rate code, and the rooms are $89 per night, single king non smoking.

Pete

I think I see the problem. Looks like all the cheap rooms are gone. The 2 that are coming up now are oversized rooms.

Ed-

I would call the 800 number and ask them about the POC group. There were 50 rooms blocked out for the group rate, and supposedly more if needed. Maybe talking to them in person will get you one of the cheaper rooms.

Pete

Nevermind I'm in!!! The hangup was all the cheap non smoking rooms are gone. So I got a cheap room and I'll just have to deal with it being a little stinky. The important part is I can go now!!!

Hey Pat, good idea, could you imagine the look on the face of a Customs Officer when they looked inside of the car. But you know what they say if you can go 50 miles you should be able to go 500 miles. So far I have gone only 3 miles.

Did I mention Pat, I have a 251 ci, fluid drive and M5 trans as well as a 3.54 diff. Hope to use these in my car someday, the engine is seized, it has a rebuild tag on it dated 1956 in Winnipeg. Wonder what the possibility of the trans and fluid drive being in useable condition. I still think I will put the car on the road with the present drivetrain, but will finish body , frontend/steering and interior first................Fred

Fred, the only reason I wanted the fluid drive was nostalgia, my first '49 had the M6/FD.

If you are happy with the regular flywheel and standard, you should leave it. You'll get better performance from it I think.

As for the M5/FD, not much can go wrong. Replace the wiring and electrics and it's probably fine. (replace the fluids too)

• 1 month later...

Is the date June 15? I just checked MapQuest, and it is about 1020 miles from my home near Pittsburgh,PA. Driving time is listed as approx. 16 hours. Obviously time is calculated driving a more modern car. I doubt I would have the patience or the physical endurance or the vacation time to drive that distance in my '51 Plymouth, traveling at it's most comfortable cruising speed of about 53 MPH. I did a quick Google search and there seems to be a number of campgrounds in that area. If I was going to try to make the trip, it would seem more practical (read cheaper and less time-consuming) to drive our truck or Jeep and tow the pop-up camper. I really wish I could go, but planning a trip that distance this far in advance is impossible for me now. It would be a MoPar Lover's once-in-a-lifetime Pilgrimage for sure! Hopefully you guys that are so good with your digital cameras will document the events on this forum for the folks who can't make the trip. =Jeff=