Will it work

billwillard

If I can't get the rings broken lose on my 217 I have a good 230 sitting by. Will the flywheel from the 217 fit the 230? The 230 came out of a power wagon so I know the flywheel will be larger. Also does any one know if the bellhousing from a 56 car would work in my 50? If so I could set it up and just remove one and drop the 230 right in.

Bill,

My understanding is that the flywheel from the 217 will not work on the 230. The crank on the 230 is slightly longer so the 230 flywheel is a little deeper to offset the difference and allow the starter to reach. Don Coatney made his 217 flywheel work on his Desoto motor by machining the starter mounting surface to give the starter more reach. I believe Vintage Power Wagons sells the correct flywheel. I do not know about the '56 bell housing.

Jim Yergin

My 218 bellhousing and transmission are mounted to the back of my 56 engine. I used the 56 flywheel and the 46 clutch stuff. I believe the bigger flywheel will accept both clutch sizes. Don't know if that answers your question.

As Jim mentioned, the 230 flywheel has a 3/16" recess in it's face to accept the 3/16" longer crank flange. Also, if your power wagon flywheel may not be drilled for both clutch sizes. I bought a NOS 230 flywheel from Vintage Power Wagons, and it was only drilled for the 10" truck clutch. I had to have it drilled for the 9 1/4" passenger car clutch. Pete

Pete;

I forgot you did that. Is this a possible source of your vibration woes?

The same thought occurred to me as I typed my response above... but I don't think so. The vibration with the new drive line is so severe as compared to the old drive line that I can't really drive the car over 55mph. There may be some minor vibration coming from the clutch, but it's hard to tell. The wheels and drive line are the biggest issue me thinks. I'll be sending the drive line back in a few days for it to be checked out. Pete

Pete, can you borrow a set of wheels and tires off some later model

vehicle to use on a test drive......just to see if your wheels might be

the culprit??? Jeep or Ford wheels would probably fit.