1937 Plymouth Truck

bobby horne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may be an old topic...but i read it again for the first time. Alot of these "rats" are built on very expensive and custom frames not to mention the fact that there is still some inherent value in the body even when modified, and much more value in the vehicle as a "hotrod." Couple this with the sky rocketing price of fords and chevys of the same era, all of which are not as attractive as our Mopars, and you get a newly found interest in Mopar "hotrods."

I was at a guys house the other day. He had rusty bodies for every plymouth between the years 33 to 39. He had just sold one for 4000.00 dollars to a guy in California who was going to pay a shipping company 1500.00 to ship it to CA. a 5500 dollar investment in something that had no floors, no interior no dash, no drive train except for a rear end, no brakes and covered with pretty extensive surface rust....AKA patina in rat rod speak.

I thought about it and, I would be hard pressed to get 15K for my 1940 numbers matching plymouth business coupe in fully restored condition. But slap a later model V8 in it and alter the suspension to put it on the ground, with a little flat black, WWW tires and steelies and 15K is more than possible. This is attractive to guy and gals who don't want to spend the countless hours and energy required to restore a car or truck of this era and just like the ones mentioned above only to spend more money then they'll ever get out of the car.

My point is don't judge a rat by its cover....and get ready to see a lot more of them. The good news is that anyone who is trying to sell their's can really consider asking a little more for a driver in good condition since non drivers in poor condition and now bringing so much.