Stereo Speakers .. Replacing single speaker..

p10plymouth

Last year I installed a stereo and CD .. (hidden in the glove box) had one stereo speaker in the middle dash ... and one hidden under the dash..... Just wasn't right ... This year I used the original speaker outside ring only ... then made this bracket v shaped ... then mounted these speakers I got ... Installed it and its amazing to hear two sounds coming from the dash... Plus less bulky... So if your looking to have stero in the dash this will work.

post-2016-13585347143469_thumb.jpg

post-2016-13585347143615_thumb.jpg

post-2016-13585347143801_thumb.jpg

...which I mounted from behind the kick panels in a recessed fashion with matching fabric to make them less noticeable. I covered the backside of the kick panels with Dynamat to give them a more substantial weight and to help further reduce noise and heat. They sound great! I'm running my CD/MP3 player which is hidden in the glovebox on my 6-volt with a small power inverter. I used to run the system on a portable 12 volt battery in the trunk, but that turned out to be more of a hassle and the results just as good with the inverter which basically a 2 X 2 inch cube hidden under the dash.

post-101-13585347143976_thumb.jpg

I'd think those speakers would sound pretty nice.....those magnets are

biiig......that's usually a good thing. I need to improve my system, probably

buy an inverter from 6 to 12 and put a player in the glovebox like others

have done. I have one 6 x 9 oval speaker behind the radio grille and another

under the seat.....but that just doesn't do all so great......running them off

a boombox. Of course, ya gotta remember there's more noise in a convert

with the top down.

100_8480.jpg[/img]

Bob,

You could put a couple of speakers in your rear quarter panels.

I thought about putting a modern radio in with either a converter or just using a larger 12 volt battery sealed battery like the small ones used on the lawn mower. Then installing a speaker up front in the original spot, then one in the rear in the package shelf. Hole is already cut for a rear speaker in the steel. Even when so far as buying an old NOS speaker spliter for under the dash, two new speakers and a nice custom cover for the rear speaker in the package shelf. Then decided why should I? I don't listen to the radio in my modern car, so why bother in the P15.

That said, if you have the radio on in the car and also have a passenger with you. It's real annoying to talk to the passenger when you have to talk over the radio noise. Then you have to talk louder over the radio. It's like trying to hear what others are saying at your table when going out to eat someplace where there are a lot of other people talking and noise from the band. You have to almost yell at one another so everyone can hear. Thats not pleasant. That is unless you don't talk to your passengers.:)

Norm, cutting a hole in my rear quarter panels isn't a good option....those

panels are metal and then you have the top bows that come down beside

them when the top is down. Might be a clearance problem.....if nothing

else. I'm kind of like you about the radio -- I rather enjoy the sounds of

silence and the sound made by the engine of the car. As well as being able to

converse with the passenger.

Bob,

Didn't realize things were so tight in your rear side panels. Guess that's why some convertibles have the speaker in a cut out of the back seat center upper cushion. Don't leave you many options, other than under the seat.

I like the small boom box option myself. That way even if we don't want to play the music while riding down the road, you can put on some old tunes while the car is parked at some show/cruise in. When you don't want to use it, just put it away someplace. Plus you don't have to make all those modifications to the car just to get a modern radio/CD player.

My system is little more than a boombox. I mounted an AM/FM cassette car stereo in a .50 cal. ammo can. The speakers sit on the rear package shelf and I power it from a 12v jump box. I put this set-up together before after-market car stereos came with an auxiliary port to run an external imput. I use an adapter for my cassette to run a portable CD player or an iPod. I like it and I can take all out and put it into just about any other car if need be.

Nice job. Thay actually make speakers that have both in the one case. We just finished restoring a 66 Mustang where we installed a stereo but the customer only wanted the one speaker up front on the dash. So, this was our answer. It worked out great. I can say, though, that the speakers didn't look as beefy as yours do. I also saw David Maxwell's cars dash here. He hid a stereo with MP3 in it inside his golve box. It's a real clean installation and sounds great.