Choke knob - how to remover

RobertKB

I've seen a couple of posts lately about replacement knobs and I see the choke knob is one of these. I am wondering if the knob can be removed from the cable by unscrewing it or it is cast as part of the cable end. I have a choke knob and cable from a '48 Plymouth in my '38 Chrylser and would like to change it to a black one I have as a spare from another project. Just want to know if I can just unscrew the knob without removing the cable. I have tried to do that on my '48 D25 and my '38 without success. Don't want to damage anything but do I just need to twist harder? Any advice appreciated.

The knob can not be removed. It is molded to a mushroom shaped metal head. You may want to pull the solid cable out of the outter "sleeve" then attempt to "fish" the other knob and solid cable back into the sleeve. Never have I tried this, but it seems as if it should work. Think about it before you pull the old one all the way out. I would hate to have given you poor advise.

I did that with my p15 cables to get them oiled up. I did have them removed from the car so the outer cable was nice and straight. If you have it in the car the bends might get you.

The knobs came unscrewed from my choke and throttle cables on my truck. Are they that different on cars? The outer chrome piece threads on to the cable shaft. The end of the shaft has a flat spot that alligns with a matching hole in the inner part of the knob. This keeps the inner piece in the proper orientation even though the outer piece turns. They were stuck pretty good, but I kept working them and they eventually came off.

P3050466.jpg

Merle, I have the type of choke knob you are showing and wanted to put that in my '38 but apparently the style in the '48 cars is different and will not unscrew. Thanks for taking the time to photograph yours!

Bob, I like your idea about painting it. Paint it black and do the lettering white. Will likely do that.

The car would originally had an automatic choke but it had no engine, carburetor, or linkage when I got it so I just put in a manual choke.

Check this thread Robert.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=3922&highlight=choke+knob

I did this with my choke knob and shaft and it replaced the cable. I'm getting ready to do the same with my throttle cable and knob.

• 9 years later...