Latest pictures of my floor--with paint

Joe Flanagan

Just wanted to post these. Put a second coat of paint on the floor today. Also welded in the foot rest I had to remove when I cut the floor out:

Floorclutchlinkage006.jpg

Floorclutchlinkage004.jpg

These are the parts to my clutch pedal linkage all cleaned up and ready for paint/reassembly:

Floorclutchlinkage008.jpg

Inside of the trunk with paint:

Floorclutchlinkage007.jpg

Here's a before and after shot of a badly rusted area below the lip of the trunk. It was rusted through with big holes. I sandblasted it and then was able to close everything up with the MIG welder. Luckily the metal in this area is thick:

WheelWell--Trunk001-1.jpg

Floorclutchlinkage003.jpg

WOW, HEY JOE, You must not be sleeping at all. That looks great. Those clutch assembly parts cleaned up nice, I wonder if you remember how they go back together:) Now Joe are you going to paint that one part thats under the pedals a different color. I see you left that unpainted. That trunk work looks "white post perfect" You have done a spectacular job since Don and I visited you.

The only way I know how they go back together is a diagram I drew before I took it apart. The manual has some pictures of it, too.

I am using one of those spot blasters, which is good for small areas and not so great for large ones. Also, it's a challenge to clean up severely rusted and pitted areas but if you stay with it you can blast it all out. I also have an underpowered compressor, at least for sandblasting.

I am going to paint the piece under the driver's side black like everything else, but I need to blast it and clean it up first. My original piece was so bad I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to look like.

The next thing is to install the clutch pedal linkage and the brake MC, though I think I will install just the reservoir and leave the inner parts out for now. Then it's the rear axle, replace rear shocks and leaf springs, rear brakes, etc.

Joe-

You are a very brave man...

Your car is looking great, I can't imagine the work that went into getting it there.

I thought my floor was bad, but it was like new by comparison! But then I guess I'm lucky to live in a place where rust hardly forms. That floor pan sat in my garage for about a year, exposed to the elements, and could have stayed there for years without forming any surface rust. There is bare steel on my '53 chebby, and it's been that way for 26 years of outside storage.

Hope to see your car in person, all finished up, some day.

Pete