Pertronix for Plymouth P23 -searched

Go Fleiter

Dear all,

I´m looking for the right Pertronix Ignitor unit for my 1951 Plymouth with P23 Flathead 6 cyl. engine. My seller in Germany now says, there is none.

1.) I bought one spare distributor IGS 111 AL 12 X which maybe is off another car but fits well. So, I prefer to modify this one to Pertronix. Grinding it somewhere would be OK for me.

2.) I have the original distributor

Chrysler Corp. Solar Spark

Part No. 1343554 Ignition

Splash Proof Distributor

IAT 4011 = E 503959

The Electric Autolite Co., Toledo OH

stamped on bottom: AT 1035

My seller says that I have to grind something off this unit to fit a Pertronix Ignitor.

I don´t want to modify this original distributor irrecoverably. I want to keep the possibility to rebuild it to originality later.

If my seller is wrong with his grinding information, I could use this unit for Pertronix, too.

Please, which Ignitor may fit for these two options?

Greetings and thanks from Düsseldorf - GE! Go Fleiter

Edited by Go Fleiter
searched vs. earched corrected... Sorry!

Go to their main catalog and look in the industrial/agricultural section. Massey Furgeson Combine and or gleener with the early chrysler engine is the one that works. make sure you get the one that says that it will work with 6 V +. If you have converted to 12 V, I thik there is one for that also. Also Studebaker 6 cyliders used a bery similar Auto lite distributor and there might be a kit for them as well. If they don;t have one listed in their catalog, a fellow named Dick Cathcart has a website for Studebaker parts and he sells them for that application. He is the George Asche of Studebaker Flatheads and has a pretty comprehensive website,last I looked, the Pertronix module was listed there.

I believe the Ignitor I kit is #1561

http://www.cathcartsstudebaker.com/

• 13 years later...

Just wrote to Pertronix with a similar subject. PLODGE 1951, 217.8, 6 v pos grd, autolite IAT 4011. According to them the correct kit is 1362P6. I am still in the process of double checking.

Strange...in their catalogue I found no reference to 1951 to 1953 Plymouth cars and also no reference to distributor IAT 4011.  Work in progress...

Definitely call versus trusting their online catalog.  Here's the one that worked for my 6V positive ground '49 (same part no. PLODGE referenced above): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CMX3QS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works perfectly and installation is a simple affair.

_

• Go Fleiter changed the title to Pertronix for Plymouth P23 -searched

well, I didn´t find again this thread while having access problems for a while...

So, with much delay: thanks for the hints!

I had installed a Pertronix unit (6 V, minus grounded, P 102468 /1362N6 BAG - if my records from 2008 are true-) without any problem.

Problem came while starting the engine:

Voltage fell under 5 V not letting the Pertronix ignite the spark plugs.

In the moment letting the ignition key plus having the crank shaft still turning the engine started at last.

For regular 6V electrical implant I have no solution, maybe other Pertronixes work with < 5V.

On my 51, I have a second 6 V battery in line to the first one for 12 V to the starter motor anyhow,

so while starting I switch the Pertronix to these 12 V. An additional voltage limitation (8V max.) is included in this circuit.

As I was never able to determine the peak power consumption of the Pertronix unit reliably, as a precaution I added a heat sink to the regulator-transistor of the limitato circuit. Until today, I don´t know if the sink is really necessary.

All this paraphernalia is installed in an empty voltage regulator case, so I have 2 of them side by side - only the heat sink is outside.

Since then, in the trunk I carry a spare Pertronix plus voltage limitator plus it´s LM 317-220 transistor - never needed!

(Anlasser = starter motor

stehend 3,3A = standing 3,3 A)

drehend 1,0-1,7 A =  engine running 1,0-1,7 A)

grafik.png.c09b7f8323bd7e4e6c3fa7cc6d7aac19.png

Edited by Go Fleiter
additions