lowering my 1947 Plymouth

richards47deluxe

There are also Ford Aerostar springs that improve handling and lower the front. They are a direct swap, and cost around $100. I cut one full coil off the bottom of mine, dropped it around 3-4". I would cut less if I were to do it again, as it rides awful close to the bump stops, and bottoms out more than I like around town. 

If you are messing with your springs, make sure you have a fresh set of isolators handy. They can be had from AB or your local parts store, but will take time for delivery. Your old ones are likely degraded or gone, and cut springs will clunk around and make unsettling noises without them.

14 hours ago, 48jumpdoors said:

thats what Im working on is a 48 four door, another question, what size tires are you running? I would like to run 6.00x16's with this lowered stance to help a little with gearing.

They are 225/75/R15s. On stock rims they are fairly squeezed, but I like it. I'll post a pic tomorrow for reference.

20 hours ago, FarmerJon said:

There are also Ford Aerostar springs that improve handling and lower the front. They are a direct swap, and cost around $100. I cut one full coil off the bottom of mine, dropped it around 3-4". I would cut less if I were to do it again, as it rides awful close to the bump stops, and bottoms out more than I like around town. 

If you are messing with your springs, make sure you have a fresh set of isolators handy. They can be had from AB or your local parts store, but will take time for delivery. Your old ones are likely degraded or gone, and cut springs will clunk around and make unsettling noises without them.

do you have a part number for the Aerostar springs, I would rather mess with those than my originals if possible. Also does anyone know how much drop the Aerostar springs give without being cut?

9 hours ago, D35 Torpedo said:

They are 225/75/R15s. On stock rims they are fairly squeezed, but I like it. I'll post a pic tomorrow for reference.

thanks for the info, when you say fairly squeezed are you implying they are close to rubbing?

6 minutes ago, 48jumpdoors said:

do you have a part number for the Aerostar springs, I would rather mess with those than my originals if possible. Also does anyone know how much drop the Aerostar springs give without being cut?

Here's the one's I bought.

They don't do a drop at all.  I cut one coil out as well, I would probably have gone half a coil instead.  The one coil drop isn't objectionable, but it;s a but lower than I want, I think, not enough to undo it though,

9 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Here's the one's I bought.

They don't do a drop at all.  I cut one coil out as well, I would probably have gone half a coil instead.  The one coil drop isn't objectionable, but it;s a but lower than I want, I think, not enough to undo it though,

Thanks Sniper, these might be the same ones that I bought through NAPA for my 52 Ford to lower the front on it. I haven't put them in yet, but I will try to check part numbers

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 48jumpdoors said:

thanks for the info, when you say fairly squeezed are you implying they are close to rubbing?

Oh sorry, I mean the tread is a lot wider than the rim. Giving them some bulb. Since I fixed the front end, they don't rub at full lock. If I corner really hard I get a tiny bit of rub in the rear. It's not enough to be concerning. 

3 minutes ago, D35 Torpedo said:

Oh sorry, I mean the tread is a lot wider than the rim. Giving them some bulb. Since I fixed the front end, they don't rub at full lock. If I corner really hard I get a tiny bit of rub in the rear. It's not enough to be concerning. 

Ah gottcha, I had the same problem with my uncut Bronco, so I went back to stock wheels as the aftermarkets were bulging out the sidewalls too much and rubbing in the rear. So I figure with 6.00 16's I shouldn't have a problem on the Plymouth. Thanks again.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, FarmerJon said:

you mention isolators in your post concerning the cutting of springs and that they are available from AB, just for clarification is that what AB lists as Rubber Silencers upper and lower?

Just now, tom'sB2B said:

Moog springs. Cut one coil off. 2" blocks in the back. I'm happy with the stance.

PXL_20210831_005336196~2.jpg

That looks real nice! 

2 minutes ago, tom'sB2B said:

Moog springs. Cut one coil off. 2" blocks in the back. I'm happy with the stance.

PXL_20210831_005336196~2.jpg

and if I could ask,  what size tires are you running and where did you find the blocks for the rear? 

1 minute ago, D35 Torpedo said:

4 door springs cut one coil with 3 inch block

20230525_170620.jpg

looks real nice as well, I 'll ask you the same questionTorpedo, what size tires are you running and where you found the rear blocks. I have not seen very many  Fasbacks!!

1 minute ago, 48jumpdoors said:

looks real nice as well, I 'll ask you the same questionTorpedo, what size tires are you running and where you found the rear blocks. I have not seen very many  Fasbacks!!

225/70/R15. The blocks are not right. I need to make some. They are for 2" wide springs and the U bolts are not happy lol but it's fine.

Here are the Moog springs before I cut a coil off. It's a slightly stiffer ride. I don't quite ooze over the railroad tracks like I did with the old springs. I kept the old springs if I or the next owner want to go back to original.

PXL_20210813_005410851_copy_1512x2016.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tom'sB2B said:

Here are the Moog springs before I cut a coil off. It's a slightly stiffer ride. I don't quite ooze over the railroad tracks like I did with the old springs. I kept the old springs if I or the next owner want to go back to original.

PXL_20210813_005410851_copy_1512x2016.jpg

so just to clarify the cutting of one coil from the spring, I am gonna say that on the original spring on the right because I can see it better in the pic that you would go strait up from the end of the coil to the next coil and cut there? In my thinking that is one coil being cut off, and if you wanted more you would repeat the process? 

to Torpedo, I see some small holes to the right of your left tail light, is there something missing there? If so what would that be? I can keep an I out down here in the Okanogan area and also on my travels if thats something your missing.