Winter Is Here In Manitoba

55 Fargo

It finally quit raining, it's been a lite drizzle the last few days, got at least 2 inches. Sun is out this morning, should got close to 50 today, but down into 20's every nite now and highs in 40's . The ground down by the barn ( my shop ) is so wet and soft , that now I have to wait for the ground to freeze, so I can move some cars around. Finally ready to bring the "48 around and in to the main work area !........... Snow in Vegas, Wow!

Yep....24 inches in Fort Collins, 28 in Denver, 45 in Estes Park. Interstate 25 closed north to Wyoming. Interstate 70 closed to Kansas. Denver International Airport closed until noon tomorrow. Ouch. I've had my share of snow scooping this winter already.

Johnny, we don't even get that kind of snow in our part of Canada all in one shot. We sometimes get 10 inches when real bad, can't imagine 24 to 28 inches, was it with a driving wind also.

Hey do you have any pics of the aftermath, to show us here on the forum, glad to here you are okay though..............Fred PS it's 32 and sunny with crystal clear skies and no wind today

Wife and I were headed to Las Vegas for a couple days. She was getting an award and I was getting close to a free ride.......well that didn't work. No award, no ride and I'm out the $150/plate dinner. Ouch. Now I'm trying to just get out of my driveway. :(

Our hockey team (Calgary Flames) is stuck in Denver after the game last night was cancelled. (first weather cancellation in the teams history)

They have a game in San Jose tomorrow, and they say they are going to make it...we'll see.

They may have to cross country ski to get there ;)

Meantime, at home here, we are above normal, snow is all but gone and were going to have a brown Christmas.

forcast is for 50 today, still down to about 27 at night, and north wind . Funny how even about 45 can feel warm ! No snow, brown Christmas, I hope Santa made it to all your homes,, maybe there's an advantage to living in Cananda, Santa gets there first ! I was hoping he would bring me a plasma cutter, but , the message musta got lost in the E-mail,( ?) .......may be next year...........

cold south wind today. I showed my wife this posting about Santa loosing my plasma cutter, she said " that's stupid ! enjoy your new shirts and underware "............... I guess............. at least the new flannel shirts will keep me warm.................but....... I just can't see going out in the garage and playing with my new underware !!

Well, here's what Old Man Winter handed us this week. Uncle Johnny is layered under two snowstorms now. The first one last week deposited about 24 inches and the one yesterday added about 12 inches more. Weatherman says more tonight but the radar looks like its mostly going to be on the eastern plain of Colorado and into Kansas and Nebraska. It may be a while until I get that new fuel pump on......yes?

post-300-13585344801606_thumb.jpg

Kansas here, we got a lot of rain here , the last couple days, luckily the wind comming up from Texas is bringing temps in the 50s, kind of a heat wave . The ''locals'' here call the warm , wet, air from the south, "a Texas draw "........so....... I guess we got a " Texas draw" , which is better than a " norther " from Canada ........

So far it's been a beautiful winter here in Canada, so if you have no snow and temps in the 50s you are lucky. If we had that kind of weather here in winter I could get many things done around here. I have my car in a heated insulated garage, thats no problem, but to pick parts form my donor car, not likely, it's still too cold. Last night it went down to 0, its about 15 right now, we haven't had snow in weeks, we are supposed to get 1 to 2 inches possibly tonight and tomorrow. This time of year we can go down to -35 at times and I have even seen it hit -40 at my place 15 minutes north of Winnipeg, even though we were -40 that morning it was only -30 in Winnipeg 15 minutes away. In 1996 we had a brutal winter here with 3 weeks of -30 and colder at night, good thing there not all like that..............Cheers Fred

I remember those cold days, used to be weeks at a time. I worked for a trucking company and had lots of frozen brakes and fuel lines. That's also the main reason I moved South about 10 years ago !!!! Still raining here, must be about three inches by now, cold air is comming in from the northwest in a day or two, they got ice and snow in west part of this state, imagine if this 3'' of rain was all snow ! That's about THREE feet !.............oh well, could be wose ,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!

Hi Larry 2 days ago it was 45 degrees here that is a record high for our area since 1894, the last 2 days it has been around 30 to 32, very mild for us, it is normally about 5 to 10 above during the day here this time of year and nighttime lows are normally -5 to -20.........Fred

Hi all, just like to let some of you know how cold it's going to get here this weekend in case you think your weather is been cold. Friday night low of -27, Sat low -15, sun low of -17, and highs during those 3 days of only -10 to 10 above. Right now it's 10 and going up to 20, it's snowing gently up to 2 inches. Oh well we can expect this weather possibly up to 6 weeks in these parts. Good thing I have a heated garage, went out this morning to the garage, the heat was off and it was still 30 inside, it's a detached garage, so there even colder, it dropped down to 3 below at one point last night.........Cheers brrrrrrrrrrrrr its cold

Fred, we are getting the same system in today.

Supposed to go from 10 right now to 25 below f by supper time.

Strong winds bring that to 38 below f.

This system is likely here for the rest of the month at least. :(

Mercifully, very little snow forecast so far.

Can't complain, it's been nice here since well before Christmas.

Takes care of the mouse and other critter problem nicely, for a while anyway.

It's gonna be about 50 today, we got 40 to 50 mile winds comming ,and temperatures of teens for high and close to zero for lows, comming real soon !!!! ( by this weekend ) After living in the South for 10 years,, getting used to the heat,, I get COLD at 50 degrees !!!What the heck am I going to do this weekend. ? It's nice of you ''Northern'' guys to share your weather with us, but you really don't have to !

It's gonna be about 50 today, we got 40 to 50 mile winds comming ,and temperatures of teens for high and close to zero for lows, comming real soon !!!! ( by this weekend ) After living in the South for 10 years,, getting used to the heat,, I get COLD at 50 degrees !!!What the heck am I going to do this weekend. ? It's nice of you ''Northern'' guys to share your weather with us, but you really don't have to !

Oh, no bother at all, don't mention it :):D:P;)

In Manitoba as I write this, it's 1 above, with winds gusting at 20 to 38 miles per hour, the windchill factor is -12 f. In Calgary 800 miles to the west where Pat S resides it's -12 and -24 with the windchill. Supposed to be cold here for at least 5 days..........Frosty

Man ! that's cold, IF it ever got that cold here I would live IN the sauna !!! We got some cold stuff comming, supposed to freezing rain , then snow, They are already planning on closeing the schools and it"s not even here yet !! I hope we get a big Texas wind and keep it all to he North !!!.........stay warm

Back when I was a kid and we had real winters and not this panzy stuff they call winter these days, we would all huddle by the radio in the morning when they read off the schools that were closed that day.

Our school was never once on that list! No such thing as a ride...mom didn't drive and dad was at work by then :(

The only kids who got a ride were the Hart kids (Bret, Owen etc) in an old Cadillac limo. Everyone else walked.

There were snow drifts 6 feet high, north wind that knocked us over, and the damn school was open.

Now THAT brings back memories ! We lived on a farm,shoveled a path out to the road to get the bus, when the bus did come , it was drifted in again. Also , waiting by the radio for school closings, keeping one eye out for the bus ! I think there was enough kids that lived in town that could get to school to keep it open. Outside right is about 50 degrees, with a 50 mile wind and lots of humidity, I think it was about 45 degree s last night. Really wierd ! But. I guess it's going to change very soon !

I went to country shcool back then too. They did close school when the drifts got over 3-4' tall. Before that we rode on 'tractors' or anything taller when 'haing to get there. They never 'wanted' to close cause that would mean one more day in the spring,,and that would never do,,,farmers wanted their kids home so they could 'plow' for them!!

My school house a mile away was surrounded on all sides by high creek water every spring time thaw,,,after those 10' snow banks thawed,,,specially after a warm rain!! I remeber MORE than once riding to school in the back of a manure spreader(they had taller wheels),,,sitting on a board trying NOT to touch the sides. The tractor and spreader would plow right thru that 2-3' of water running OVER the road. Sometimes the water was deep enough we had to hold our feet and shoes up out of it,,,inside the spreader. All the kids that could came around to my side of the school house and go with us and the teacher. Darn it!! NOW what kind of fuss would have been made if the tractor had gone down in washed out holes(happened all the time) and the spreader would have been washed away in the ice berg conditions (NEVER could have swam in that COLD water) and current was VERY swift!! But by dang,,,we are having school TODAY!!

They would hang a teacher or parents that abused there kids that way!! Never could see where you were going so would have been real easy to drive off side of open bridge!! YIKES!!:eek:

maybe thats why they all go to town school these days

Pat, next thing you'll tell us was that the walk to/from school was uphill in both directions.....:P

I remember as a kid listening to the AM radio, waiting to hear if our school was closed for snow. That would have been something like WNEW out of NYC, we lived across the river in NJ.

It's getting pretty cold in SoCal right now. I had to turn on the electric blanket in the doghouse!

Back when I was a kid and we had real winters and not this panzy stuff they call winter these days, we would all huddle by the radio in the morning when they read off the schools that were closed that day.

Our school was never once on that list! No such thing as a ride...mom didn't drive and dad was at work by then :(

The only kids who got a ride were the Hart kids (Bret, Owen etc) in an old Cadillac limo. Everyone else walked.

There were snow drifts 6 feet high, north wind that knocked us over, and the damn school was open.