something astoundingly stupid

david lazarus

Put me up for the Darwin awards guys.... took the '38 out for a run on the weekend, in a bit of a hurry, just up the road a little way and notice the rear divers side door is not shut properly.....yep brain fade kicks in and whilst still moving at about 30 mph stupid here tries to open the rear suicide door and shut it properly !!!:mad:

Now I am looking at an insurance claim for dented rear fender, and a badly sprung top hinge, torn stopper thingy ......that means one of the only two really good doors aint good no more.

Stupid, thick and brainless me.:(

When I was a kid, my dad had a '67 Tbird with suicide rear doors. My gramps was in the habbit of opening the door to spit tobacco, and didn't think about the door catching in the wind... He swore his right arm was a few inches longer after that incident. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your door, at least it can be fixed...

Pete

Not long after I got my 1933 the driver side door popped open while I was moving. Fortunately it was at a slow speed and the damage done to the hinges was minor and none to the rest of the door or rear fender.

I used that as "notice" that I should build up the worn material on the striker plate and get it back to where full engagement was possible.

By the way, on the early 1930s Plymouths locking the door by clicking the inside handle to the lock position moves the striker out a bit more than just having the door closed. Once I noticed that I made it a policy to make sure both doors were locked before putting the car into gear.

David,

I feel your pain, brother, I feel your pain.

Last time I did something like that (and we have ALL done something like that) I became so filled with remorse I went to the bathroom and kicked myself in the groin.

Then I was filled with yet more remorse for inflicting excruciating pain upon myself and lost my temper and hit a wall as hard as I could. Sure, I showed that wall; how was I to know there was a 4x6 riser behind it?

I crawled from my bathroom to the kitchen on two knees and one elbow and opened the 'fridge door for a beer. I keep a suitcase of cans standing on edge on the top shelf, and this one was fresh and un-opened so I was able to take comfort that I'd be able deaden a modicum of the pain from my groin, my swollen and reddening fist, and the original sin that first broke my heart.

Since I was not able to stand, I lay on my right side, raising the throbbing arm out of the way, and reached over with my left hand to pop the little dispenser tab on the bottom of the box that would allow me to take one can at a time. As I saw the glue seams of the box burst I remembered this was a case and not a 12 pack, ergo no despenser tab.

A twelve ounce can of beer doesn't weigh much on a table but when they accelerate toward you they aquire a punch. Drinking eighteen beers at once isn't a good idea, espcially if they aren't opened before you come in contact with them.

I still have a notch in one ear and a nubbin on my nose from that one.

Glad to hear that all that went wrong was a stupid hinge, but that doesn't mean I don't still feel you pain.

-Randy

Guest rockabillybassman

Ouch. Gee Dave, sorry to hear that. Take comfort in the fact that you're not alone in the brain fart dept. Let's face it, we're all lunatics anyway for wanting to mess with worn out old unsafe jalopies, when the best brains and money in the world have been trying to make cars better and safer for us.

webmaster@ply33.com <webmaster@ply33.com>

On the above site I read that the last Plymouth was built in 2001. That was a complete surprise! That Mopar dropped that name is numbing, at best. I wonder how many in the general public noticed that. After reading that and writing this, I still ask, "Is that really true?"

David, David, David, look at the good side of all this.

1- Your grip on the door was such that the force did not seperate your shoulder. Good reason not to use those rolls of towels on the BBQ table to clean your hands.

2- The action did not cause you to veer into other traffic (maybe the gov's wife and kids) makin you the #1 villian of the year down there, plus other things you wouldn't want to think about.

It's like a bartender I once knew said, with his hand heavely bandaged, "Never try to catch a falling glass".

Hope all is OK with you. Roll down the windows, take about 4 foot of 3/4 in hemp, wrap around the door frames and pillar, and you're good to go.

What ever, keep that car on the road. Don't make a garage Queen out of it for a little mishap.

AL

Jim, that made me chuckle. Years ago I set a propane torch on the pavement behind me not realizing the valve was going bad and it did not turn off all the way. As I crouched there working on some VW brakes, I suddenly realized the torch had remained lit and set my shirt tail on fire.

Hey guy's thanks for the comments they really cracked me up:D

Iv'e gotten over it, can laugh now and it's only my wallet that will be in pain.

Seeing the spring throgh the finger..reminded me if the time i used a fine sharp screwdriver to prise out a seized piston from a brake cylinder....it slipped and I poked it right through my finger:eek:

Never did find the offending car part after my rage cleared...probably in orbit with other space junk.

I can laugh about that one now too !!!

i forget what i was actually doing (you'll understand why in a moment) but i took a full-force swing on my right shin with a 12oz ball pein hammer some time ago.... i still have a divot on the shinbone to this day. wonder why i can't remember what i was doing? it hurt so bad i passed out.

have also walked into the beam of my engine hoist not once but twice in a short time.... and you don't see little birds twittering around your head when you do that, you just see stars...

I like to add one here ... drilling a hole for a screw in a metal elctrical box, I was holding the box on edge, drilling thru the side, yup, the drill slide off, went in my finger (pointer finger of hand holding the box) right in the side at the first joint ! I don't know how deep it went, but the tip is still numb almost 2 years later ! THAT one really did hurt !!!

I like to add one here ... drilling a hole for a screw in a metal elctrical box, I was holding the box on edge, drilling thru the side, yup, the drill slide off, went in my finger (pointer finger of hand holding the box) right in the side at the first joint ! I don't know how deep it went, but the tip is still numb almost 2 years later ! THAT one really did hurt !!!

Ouch!!!

I had a buddy years ago who worked at a door makers and had to drill through a small plate...that he held square in his hand!!!

Yup...drilled right through the plate, his palm and out the other side!!!

Early 70's...smokables involved :rolleyes:

Ouch!!!

I had a buddy years ago who worked at a door makers and had to drill through a small plate...that he held square in his hand!!!

Yup...drilled right through the plate, his palm and out the other side!!!

Early 70's...smokables involved :rolleyes:

Pat, I'll bet I can tell you exactly what he said: "Oh wow!":cool:

Guest 49 pilot

fish is brain food,,,didn't work for me....try stopping a mini grinder with a cutting wheel,,,use your finger,,,not just once,,,but twice in a matter of minutes,,,then ask yourself.."why did I do that"? not much blood though,,,burnt the skin and seals the blood vessel. or..try holding a shaft,,,hitting the end of it with a large hammer,,,then place your left thumb atop the shaft just as you are about to strike it with that large hammer nail clippers are suggested..but a hammer does work in removing the nail also. this is something that has been passed on through the centurys something to do with the left side and the right side of the brain shutting down at the same time, leaving us guys with ,,,well nothing to think with. Fight the brave fight gentlemen,,,if it does work the first time try again and again,,,till you injury yourself.....best of luck to all of you....Doug...

Put me up for the Darwin awards guys....

While not nearly as bad as folding a door, the first time I moved my car out of the garage under it's own power, I backed right into my engine stand, gouging the brand new paint off the rear fender.

scratch.JPG

Pissed off, I moved the stand out of the way and decided it was "broken-in" and I wouldn't have to worry about the paint from that point on....

After about 11,000 miles, there are dozens of chips in the paint now, and I don't even notice them anymore.

Pete

i have to add this one:

the father of a good friend was an Army Reserve Colonel in the Artillery; he told me a story of when he was in WWII and in Gunnery School. a senior instructor was conducting a manual-of-arms for some field piece and was making the point "never stick your thumb HERE..." when he did just that, slammmed the breech shut and severed the last joint of his thumb.....

i guess the point was made.