R 10 Overdrive quit

Normspeed

Last weekend my OD quit engaging when up to governor speed. Recently it had been balky a time or two, especially at freeway speeds going into 3rd OD. This morning I got out the Plymouth Manual and started through the diagnosis process. First step I found a flaw, you could hear the relay click but not the solenoid. Step 2 said check the fuse and the condition of the fuse contact in the holder for corrosion. Sure enough, the fuse was fine but the bottom fuse contact, brass, had a nice thick patina, not a good thing in this case. I slipped a bit of 220 sandpaper in there, did some scrubbing, rinsed with electrical contact cleaner spray, and. voila! Now it's shifting like Grant took Richmond! (Thanks Charlie Daniels for that line)

Good info,It should be the first place you look! I have found (at work) several fuses and relay bases that are damage or worn out and several other people have been trying to replace complete units, because they can't find the real problem. So looking up close the contacts, relays, fuse holders and testing them, you will more than likely fix the problem and save some money!:D