Plymoth Convert spotted

Merle Coggins

I know where you talking about. They did mostly custom van conversions. I think they are still in business, although I don't see as much activity over there lately. It's a block or 2 from here.

I saw that car on my way to Iola to see a customer yesterday. On the way back I stopped to get some pics and have a closer look. Up close it's showing it's age. I guess it's what some would call a 100 footer. It's had a cheap paint job without fixing some previous paint/body issues, and the top is a little ragged on the edges. But otherwise it looks pretty good for a 60+ year old car. The cars are parked as if they were for sale, but none had any signs or window stickers indicating that they were. That's probably a good thing as I don't really have funds to bring it home anyway, or space for it if I did.

Merle

Buildings almost looked like the one's on Silver Spring. By the way, that Macco Body Shop across the street from the RV place on Silver Spring does nice paint jobs. Stopped in one day to discuss painting my coupe after I do the body work. The manager took me on a tour of the shop and showed me the various jobs being done. Had a 65 or 66 Mustang parked out back that they had just completed for a customer. Looked real nice.

This pic shows the name on the building up there.

I know the Macco shop you speak of. I've heard that they to good work.

When I see a paint job like on this car I always think of Earl Schieb - "I'll paint any car for just $99.95". I think he's been out of business for a while now, but from what I heard he would spray the car in what ever condition it was brought in. If you wanted a good prep job you'd better do it yourself. And if you didn't want some parts painted, you'd better mask it off or remove it before you brought it in.

post-20-1358534463299_thumb.jpg

Earl Schieb is still in buissness. I remember when he said I'll paint any car for $19.95. Can you belive it's up over $300. now. Had a VW painted there in the 60's and he painted every thing, tires, hubcaps, bumpers, windows what ever was not covered was painted.

Dennis:eek:

http://www.earlscheib.com/

My paint might be an Earl Scheib job. Black over the original black, and in areas where it's peeling there is no sign that they even scuff sanded the original paint. The hood has brush strokes in the paint under the Earl paint. Still looks pretty good from 20 feet when it's cleaned up though.

Were they showing this car off or selling it. Could people check it out?

I don't know. I didn't see any "Sale" signs around on any of those cars. If you are interested you could give them a call. I posted a picture of one of their signs with their phone #. Should be about in the middle of this thread.

I've seen cars sitting there in the past, but never really looked closely at them until that day when I wasn't is as much of a hurry. I don't get up that way a lot, but do pass by there from time to time.

Merle