Will 1951 DeSoto car A arms bolt up to my 1940 Plymouth Coupe?

Noonan

Hi everyone !

I've been trying to locate replacement uprights for my 1940 Plymouth coupe as the last owner hacked them up pretty bad in an attempt to lower the car.   So far I've had no luck.  

To my question: will 1951 DeSoto car A arms (complete front suspension assembly) bolt up to my 1940 Plymouth car ?    If this is possible does anyone know if this changes the location of the wheel in relation to the fender opening  (going from 1951 front suspension to the 1940 frame) ? 

Thank you all !

I can't fully answer this, BUT I have a pair of '52 desoto uprights I plan to install on my '48 in order to add the 12" Desoto brakes in place of the factory 10" plymouth ones. I havent finished the project, but what I have found is this: 

The uprights are bolt in.

The Plymouth steering arms might need to be used.

The Desoto kingpins use a needle bearing for the top bushing, so it must be tracked down NOS. But is supposed to greatly reduce steering effort, so not all bad.

The 12" drums may not fit inside stock Plymouth 15" wheels. You likely have 16" wheels, so try and see if they fit. 

I was able to use my old bearings and seals from the Desoto to track down replacements, as part stores are pretty slim on listings, BUT everything was available affordablly and USA made.

Hope this helps

Edited by FarmerJon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jon, if I'm not mistaken the uprights after 1940 used different connections to the upper A arms, requiring the complete front A arms and uprights to be swapped into a 40 ? 

• Like 1

Dunno if this helps but I used Moog Cast steel 1941-1954/56 upper A Arms, stock 1940 lower A arms, stock 1940 Plymouth(Oz Dodge) spindles(uprights) with 1941-1954/56(Oz Chrysler1962 ) stub axles.......I used the 1940 spindles as they have the lower shock mount and lower sway bar mount built into them and stock 1940-56 (Oz up to 1962) king pins......have been running this setup since the mid 1970's........see pic...........here in Oz we had a Chrysler Royal which was a rebodied 1954 Plymouth sold up to 1962 which was what I used in 1973 when I hotrodded my 1940 Oz Dodge(Plymouth based here).................regards from Oz..........andyd      

015.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 9 foot box said:

From a Hollister 46-56.

IMG_0728.jpeg

This is a great resource to have, thank you! I don't see the 40 Plymouth listed on the front wheel suspension parts index, only the 41-56  Ply.  

The reason the 1940 Plymouth is not shown as an interchange is that the 1940 "technically" is not a direct interchange........however the 1941 onwards upper A arms will swap onto the 1940 upper inner pivot pin but in doing so the 1941 onwards upper rebound rubber must be used...........an "Interchange Manual" in my understanding only shows those parts that are a direct swap without any alteration or subsequent need for another swap..........me, being a hotrodder makes up my own mind how, when or why a part will fit...........lol.........I built my car long before I'd even heard of an interchange manual.......tho' I do have a complete photocopy of the Auto Interchange Systems 1950-65 Chrysler Products Interchange Manual, all 176 pages of it.....lol.............andyd  

• Thanks 1

I would ask for some more help.

I have a 1948 Desoto i could measure and make a sketch of the bolt pattern for you.

FYI

i believe that all 1946 -1948 Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge, and Plymouth use the same front crossmember. So suspension's should interchange also.

I do have a 1950 Dodge also, i will check that crossmember to see by chance its the same.

Good luck

Frank

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the replies.  This is all really great info. 

I did manage to solve my issue of relocating 1940 uprights,.  upright is the wrong part name.   I found the parts when I started inquiring regarding knuckle supports. 

I've also purchased the entire front suspension system from a 51 DeSoto which I will set aside in case I want to bring the front end into the 50s

Thanks again !

On 3/12/2024 at 4:31 PM, andyd said:

Dunno if this helps but I used Moog Cast steel 1941-1954/56 upper A Arms, stock 1940 lower A arms, stock 1940 Plymouth(Oz Dodge) spindles(uprights) with 1941-1954/56(Oz Chrysler1962 ) stub axles.......I used the 1940 spindles as they have the lower shock mount and lower sway bar mount built into them and stock 1940-56 (Oz up to 1962) king pins......have been running this setup since the mid 1970's........see pic...........here in Oz we had a Chrysler Royal which was a rebodied 1954 Plymouth sold up to 1962 which was what I used in 1973 when I hotrodded my 1940 Oz Dodge(Plymouth based here).................regards from Oz..........andyd      

015.JPG

Sorry for going off topic here , but I noticed you relocated your shock absorber mounts are they home made and do you have the dimensions  of  the mounts and what shocks did you use ?

Thanks in advance 

Don't have the dimensions but heres some pics.....I had these shocks but their number is unknown..........heres a couple of pics of the brackets, yep they are hoemade.........will see what I can find re the shocks.........andyd 

001.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG