1951 Plymouth ads

Sniper

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

second car back far right, must be a special order euro taxi or patrol car in other than Panda dress colors....

I thought the same thing, but now we know it's a factory color combination, lol.

46 minutes ago, JonathanC said:

You can read it (and download it) right here: https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_pCEDAAAAMBAJ/page/n99/mode/2up

Out of curiosity I checked and they have Popular Mechanics magazine as well.  Here's the link to their '51 Plymouth review:

Popular Mechanics Magazine 1951-07: Vol 96 Iss 1 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

• Like 1

And if you want the inimitable "Uncle Tom" McCahill's take on the '51 Plymouth (or any other car if you want to look for it), it's here. In addition to a lot of discussion of Plymouth's excellent performance in stock car racing at the time, it includes McCahill gems such as:

"The day I arrived in Detroit to test the ’51 Plymouth it was so cold the mayor had issued orders to make room for the brass monkeys in the boiler room at City Hall. I arrived at the huge Plymouth plant looking like the father of Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer."

"Years ago, many really high-class cars had a ride control valve right on the instrument panel. At the flick of a finger, the car’s ride could be made as hard as a mother-inlaw’s heart, for fast driving and cornering, or as soft as Stalin’s head for Aunt Matilda’s afternoon spin through the Park."

Edited by JonathanC
  • Like 1

May 53 issue of Pop Mechanics Floyd Clymer ( Im assuming thats the service manual guy) reviews the 53 Plymmie Cran. He notes fuel consumption 17 around the city, 19-20 in the country using approx 1 qt of oil every 650 miles. while tearing up the pavement at 47-55 mph. (my grandfather would put his car in neutral every down hill he could. Thats how you get 20 mph, dammit!). His dislikes? he didnt like the position of the gas cap, he wanted it behind the rear license plate, and he wanted an extra ash tray. His 9th Plymouth

some people are never happy

Edited by Booger
sp