Identifying rear axle

Go to solution Solved by BobK,

I have a 47 Dodge WC 1/2 ton.  I pulled the rear axles and rear gear to have the bearings replaced.  I took them to a local driveline shop.  They have disassembled the rear gear and we have started sourcing replacement parts.  The shop has the parts in their hands and there are numbers on them.  The parts cross reference to a a later truck.  A 48 or later B-1 or possibly some other vehicles.   Every source I have checked states the part numbers I have are not compatible with a 47 WC.  I don't dispute the possibility at some point the rear axle was changed.  The engine is from a 53 Pontiac.   My question is are there numbers stamped anywhere or someway for me to attempt to identify what rear axle I have or at least a group of vehicles it could have come from?  I can tell you it is 8 3/4", it does have the expected 4.11 gear ratio and the correct Cleveland universal joints you would expect on a 47 WC. 

DifferentialSmall.jpg

Edited by dgrinnan

Maybe the best rear you can have— looks like a mopar 8 3/4 with an old style yoke?. See what numbers are on the jackpot. Maybe 741,742 or 489 if I remember correctly? I haven’t worked on the 1/2” ton trucks, maybe they just have the look.

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

Look on the bottom along the side, that will tell you the bearing size. Gears are stamped on the OD of ring gear and may have been changed so I wouldn’t go by the tag if it still has one. I didn’t know they had those available in the 40’s but the yoke could have been changed. 

I was talking about the axle. Not rhe gears. I pulled thenumber from the ring and pinion gears. I know what size bearings I need. I am trying to determine what the axle came from. It is post 47 unless the rear gear is a later year that dropped into the 47 axle with no modifications 

Those numbers are stamped on the brg and race. I have several 8 3/4’s apart at the farm and can look at Sunday.  Could be out of truck, c,b,a body car. I thought the axle bearings are the same size, could be wrong though, never switched them in housings. If you have a few days, I’ll check a few 60-70’s rears. Have a little of everything still left from some years ago.

What bolt pattern does the axles have?

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

These are the bearings and races we pulled out when the gear assembly was disassembled.  I was able to locate the parts.  Tha axle bearings say the part number is compatible with a 47 WC.  The bearings/races removed from the gear assembly say they are not.  They do cross referance to a B-1 and several cars.  I have everything I need to rebuild the gear but it just raised my curisotiy.  What do I actually have?  I say everything.  the only part that did not have a part number and I have not been able to find is the pinion seal.  the gear shop found one that has the same specs as the one they removed but until they have it in their hand they can't be sure it will fit.  The old one is a heavy leather seal. 

10 spline yoke

41 teeth on the ring gear

31590 Differential Pinion Bearing for Dodge B-1

31593 Differential Pinion Bearing for Dodge B-1

2735X Wheel Bearing Race - outer axle bearing.  Compatible with 47

2780 Wheel Bearing - outer axle race.  Compatible with 47

25580 Differential Bearing for Dodge B-1

31520 Differential Pinion Race for Dodge B-1

25520 Wheel Bearing Race for Dodge B-1

Edited by dgrinnan

Well, after all that I find that my Hollander doesn't cover pre-50 very well.  But, in a few places that I found, all the bearings it did cover were the same 47-56.  

Maybe the issue showing up in this is some superceded part numbers over the years.

Well, I don’t have a have ton yet. But when I get more serious wanting one and see an 8-3/4 under it will be a huge plus. I could imagine the jackpot being switched out over the years. If yours has a leather pinion seal, combined with that style yoke would indicate an early one to myself.  I’m not sure there is enough information to determine what it actually came from.

These were so common back when I did some racing, they would get switched in less than an hour. Trucks probably not, but still possible. 
    I looked at a few today but don’t want to pull yokes off unless someone needs it. Seals have been changing for years from vendors. I good quality seal  today is most likely better than was in there so I wouldn’t fret that so much(if that’s a concern)Just make sure it’s for oil and has the correct dimensions. 

I just found one more clue. I have a Mopar Parts List. There are two different types of rear list for 41-7 WC Type A and Type B.  The part numbers I have align with a Type B that also spills over to 48-50.   The Pinion Yoke part number is 1189331.  the parts list has a note that says the Type B was used intermittently after serial No. 81126289.  I have a later serial number.   

• Solution
On 6/13/2023 at 8:42 AM, Young Ed said:

I would think it's 8 3/4 but not the 8 3/4.

I had one of those........ turned out to be an 8 1/4 , pumpkin type rear.  It was in a 62 slant six dart.  I assumed it was an 8 3/4......... until I tried to swap pumpkins.  

I believe they were used in six cylinder cars , late 50's early 60's.