Brake shoes part numbers- short, long?

iowa51

1951 Plymouth Cranbrook.

Brake wheel cylinder on right front side started leaking. Got new cylinders ordered and planned on ordering new shoes due to fluid contamination of the lining but according to my parts catalog each car has 6 "long" shoes (#1136 985) and 2 "short" shoes (#1136 986). So which axle has the "short" shoes?

Edited by iowa51

Brake shoes on the older Desoto.docxBrake shoes on the older Desoto.docxOn the Lockheed brake system you will have a short and a long lining. On the cars that have the step wheel cylinders like on my 39 Desoto the front shoe on any of the wheels went inthe front and the short shoe was in the rear on each axle.  Also the short lining was at the bottom of the rear shoe.

In todays word the mechanics reverse the shoes.  Chyrsler did it differently Look in your factory service manual it should show pictures of the braking system and this would have beenthe factory settings.

Refer to the two docs attached

Rich Hartung

Brake Shoe setup long and short linings Lining Number 1162.docx

13 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

On the Lockheed brake system you will have a short and a long lining.

According to your information like I should have 4 "long" and 4 "short". The parts manual for my car says I need 6 "long" and 2 "short"

image.jpeg.a3674935d3d634e39d33a883b4de62e1.jpeg

Not going to be easy yo find short and long lining shoes.

Most all relined shoe linings are all long same length.

The cyclebond are bonded linings. I have riveted lining on my 39 Desoto. Best suggestion is to check your service manual on your specific car and look under the section for brakes. They might have a picture of how each shoe long and short were installed on your car.