Helicoil for fuel inlet

JaberJaw

So glad I found this group and Thank You for letting me join. I just noticed that the 7/16 fuel inlet on my Carter BB carburetor was slowly leaking. I removed the fuel line so I could get at the Brass Fitting and when I pulled it out I noticed a thread of white metal from the Carb came out with it and they had put white Teflon Tape on to seal it before I purchased it. I was able to remove two strings of Teflon and slowly screwed in this time with some aviation form a gasket number 3 with no luck so when I removed it again another thread from the carburetor came with it but now I know it's time for a rebuild and the kit is coming but my question is. Has anybody or could I insert a 7/16 helicoil on the fuel inlet that has the jet right where it meets the Float? There are still four or five good threads left.

A refurbished carb is on its way but I would like to rebuild this one on the bench with the kit and hopefully I can restore the threads with that Helicoil. What you see in the picture is the remainder of the aviation #3 that I have to clean out. Any information would be extremely helpful

received_621730543217808.jpeg

I can tell you that I messed up the threads on mine, and wondered along the same lines. I decided to try something that isn't supposed to really work: JB Weld. That was a year ago and...still no leak. 

8 hours ago, Bryan G said:

I can tell you that I messed up the threads on mine, and wondered along the same lines. I decided to try something that isn't supposed to really work: JB Weld. That was a year ago and...still no leak. 

I've also used JB Weld to fix threaded holes. Including tappered pipe threads in an aluminum intake for a temp sensor with no resulting leaks. Fill or just fill around the circumference of the hole, drill and tap.

I find the quick setting product easiest to work with for this type of application. You have to be a bit careful when tightening the fastener, but it does work very well for what it is.

My recall is a bit fuzzy on this but I think it is necessary to remove the brass fitting in order to access the needle valve on the B&B carb. While JB Weld is wonderful stuff and can permanently fix the threads removing the needle valve may no longer be possible.

6 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

My recall is a bit fuzzy on this but I think it is necessary to remove the brass fitting in order to access the needle valve on the B&B carb. While JB Weld is wonderful stuff and can permanently fix the threads removing the needle valve may no longer be possible.

Sam ,  I have a fuzzy memory too , but I think that the fitting is threaded both on the outside and also on the inside . 

1 hour ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Sam ,  I have a fuzzy memory too , but I think that the fitting is threaded both on the outside and also on the inside . 

You're probably correct, been awhile since I've had mine apart. 

8 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

The inlet fitting is where the needle seats, but You can remove the needle from inside the bowl if you take the top off and remove the float.

jGgRBEa_CoKYZpE__wcIvB74v7YhLv_Zxxm_4Owv

9 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

The idea is to fill the whole as much needed with JB, drill and re-tap. Not so much to permanently attach the fitting with JB.

1 hour ago, vintage6t said:

The idea is to fill the whole as much needed with JB, drill and re-tap. Not so much to permanently attach the fitting with JB.

?

Edited by Sam Buchanan