New to forum, GM truck fan, LOL

Hello all,

I started collecting 47-54 GM medium duty trucks, 1-1/2 and 2-ton trucks about 10 years ago.  Last fall I got a lead on a "old Chevy truck" just like the ones I have in the field.  When I finally got a chance to go look at it I had a very nice visit with the 93 year old owner who knew my family from way back in the day.  After about an hour of stories, he said, I suppose you are here to look at my "Dodge" truck.  Ha, so much for my spotter and his identification skills.  Not really trying to expand my skill set, but I was there already, so I said you bet.  FWIW, he bought the truck from a University farm that had it since new.  He had a good title in his name and today, I got the title transfered in my name.

Anyway came home with a 1950 2-B-KA.  I bought Don Bunn's book, and started looking for numbers. Frame and data plate numbers match, 8280216X.  The title looks to be titled with the engine number, but the engine has a different number.  The title says T1802001, which is correct from what I can read.  The engine is stamped 34855WIS.  Now from what I have found on a couple searches is that "WIS" is probably a Wisconsin restamp number system as it has been seen on model-t's and a Honda motorcyle.  I did get a form from the WI-DMV for when they used the engine number and one wants to change to the frame, data plate, number.  I got the title done in my name first so I can send for the build card.

The most important reason I did not pass on this truck is it has large 6 hole budd wheels and I have a set of new 6 hole budd 22.5 rims.  My GMs are big five or small ten, and one piece rims are hard to find.  That and it has a shorter (152") wheelbase then my GMs, and I have a 525 Holmes wrecker back I can put on it.

Lastly, I will post some pics and will be posting some questions for sure.

Thanks for looking!

20230602_113515.jpg

• Like 3

The mentioned 6 hole budd wheels with 1100 20's.  Might be 900's, not sure right now off the top of my head..

20230126_102710 (Small).jpg

20230126_102722 (Small).jpg

The "DODGE" added to the line-up...

Thanks again, for the forum, and for looking!

20230603_163248 (Small).jpg

• Like 2

Great looking truck, congratulations on it.

The actual & I think correct size of the tires, shows 8.25-20 in your photo.

IIRC, others have talked about switching to 22.5 wheels. ...... Is there a 9R22.5 tire? ..... Still taller then a 8.25 I think.

Just now, BaconFarms said:

The mentioned 6 hole budd wheels with 1100 20's.  Might be 900's, not sure right now off the top of my head..

Just saying, the taller tires did not agree with the gear ratio of the truck. So if you had a load & a hill you had to downshift to a lower gear then normal.

That is a very nice looking original truck to have the interior look as good as it does.

I love all old trucks, GM trucks are not bad either. ..... I think many of them had the 216 with a splash oiling system? Not sure when they switched to a pressurized oil pump.

Just saying the old flathead in the Dodge was built from the 1930's all the way into the 1970's because it was so reliable for many applications.

I'm talking about airport tugs, industrial farm equipment,  vehicles sold outside of USA for emission reasons. ..... They were just great engines & worked as is.

You will not regret taking care of this one.

I'm hoping to hear more as you get to know your new truck.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Great looking truck, congratulations on it.

The actual & I think correct size of the tires, shows 8.25-20 in your photo.

IIRC, others have talked about switching to 22.5 wheels. ...... Is there a 9R22.5 tire? ..... Still taller then a 8.25 I think.

Just saying, the taller tires did not agree with the gear ratio of the truck. So if you had a load & a hill you had to downshift to a lower gear then normal.

That is a very nice looking original truck to have the interior look as good as it does.

I love all old trucks, GM trucks are not bad either. ..... I think many of them had the 216 with a splash oiling system? Not sure when they switched to a pressurized oil pump.

Just saying the old flathead in the Dodge was built from the 1930's all the way into the 1970's because it was so reliable for many applications.

I'm talking about airport tugs, industrial farm equipment,  vehicles sold outside of USA for emission reasons. ..... They were just great engines & worked as is.

You will not regret taking care of this one.

I'm hoping to hear more as you get to know your new truck.

I had 22.5 inch wheels made for my truck. 9r22.5 have the same OD as 8.25x20s . 38.3” give or take. You can still find a decent assortment of 9r22.5s. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I got the build card in the email today.  It shows the serial number, 82802016X (which is on the frame and data tag) and the motor number, T180 2001 (which in NOT on my engine, but is on the title).  So, with this new information, I will send in the DMV form the attendant gave me to get the title in the serial number, hopefully.

Not sure what all the punches in the punch card mean, but I can work on that...

Enjoy..

ACFrOgCbTqBhIL8mMCANkgqhPgNP9dRnNu1MYYV9j_hkjldZyj4UDgXUYP8fJ0TuqnLWEyUbJklSESDM-B19ZVTkKf8N1GV12cCT-htbiyVH09bCxnP99WeA2zFgl-E=.pdf