Body bolts & E-brake

Go to solution Solved by billrigsby,

Today am working on the E-brake ..... Not sure how it will work out.  Feeling pretty confident though.

I ordered a front brake cable for a 69-70 mustang from Holley memorial day sale for less then $10. Amazon sells the same cable for $17, others $22 ..... Just cheaper then the $100 I find for cables that fit our trucks.

The ball on the end is slightly to large, will need to sand it down with the dremel to fit the E-brake handle.

It is about 6" shorter then the original. IMHO, the original was too long anyways, long sweeping loop allowed it to rub on the exhaust .... A shorter cable might be a good thing?

See how it works out.

I keep forgetting that I need to order some of the clips I have circled. for mounting the inner fenders, toe boards, trans cover etc....

I do not know the correct name for them to do a search. I can get some at the parts store .... package of 4 for $5-$7 .... I need at least 25-30 of them + I'm missing some of the bolts.

Just hoping someone can give me the proper name to search with.

IMG_20230605_1308311.jpg.3f8b27377699927db133dc6aafb9c4bb.jpg

IMG_20230605_130802.jpg.c71059f151562e2762ae81cea731089e.jpg

• Solution

I've always called them 'U-Nuts' that's what dad and UAL called them!

12 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

I've always called them 'U-Nuts' that's what dad and UAL called them!

Clips and Fasteners

Well ladies & gentlemen, I do not recommend the 1969 Mustang E-brake cable.

I did grind down the size of the ball to fit also needed to slice just a sliver off the end of the original e-brake handle in order to install the clip that holds it all together.

Not proud of cut & modify the original e-brake handle .... "I feel" a original cable will still work if needed.

IMG_20230605_153129.jpg.a30893cdeec4bf9adbe8735e367991f5.jpg

Connecting to the e-brake itself, the cable adjuster is too long & needs shortened ..... no bad feelings about modifying the cable.

Essentially I have a working e-brake for $10

IMG_20230605_163444.jpg.cb7a74eb0a0d02055710b41fda3fdff4.jpg

Here is the problem with this particular cable .... simply too short.  Here it is lying right on the exhaust manifold.

This will be a easy fix with some baling wire, I can make a bracket to bolt to the firewall & hold it away ..... Not sure I will ever be happy with this cable.

Just saying, this turns into a future Fred problem .... Today Fred has a working e-brake & bigger fish to fry.

Maybe with the right hold down bracket, I might learn to love it?

This is why I do not recommend it. If you need to hire someone to make the bracket, would be cheaper to just buy the correct $100 cable.

I want to say the Ford cable has really close cable connections to our Dodges.

This cable is for a 1969 Mustang, I want to do some research someday to see if maybe a 69 Ford Galaxie has the same connections but a longer cable for a longer body style?

IMG_20230605_163532.jpg.80a793014737a166e4388ee2bed367ad.jpg

41 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I've seen them called U nuts J nuts or clip nuts

The package I have from the auto parts store are called   "U-type speed nuts"

They actually work. They are size M6-1.0, M8-1.25 ..... I really do not understand the size label. ..... The actual bolts measure 5/16", probably considered 1/4" course thread.

I just need to spend some time to figure out what size to order.

To be honest, I was afraid to put "speed nuts" into a google search to see what comes up .... U-nuts work.

1 hour ago, LazyK said:

They are size M6-1.0, M8-1.25 ..... 

That is a metric size, 6-8 mmrn

To expand a little on that, the 1.0 and 1.25 numbers are the thread pitch.   Metric is expressed in the length of one turn in mm of the thread, where SAE is expressed as the number of threads per inch.

Edited by kencombs
  • Thanks 2

Sometimes you do what you have to do in order to make something work again.  I got lucky, back in 97 when I was scavenging parts for my truck, I came across a really nice original for $30 and bought it.  

You now have a working parking brake so it's time to move on to the next task :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, billrigsby said:

Thanks for the link ..... for whatever reason I ended up ordering from https://cliphouse.com/index.aspx

I ordered June 7th, got a thank you for your order right away & nothing from them since then.

I tried calling them, you get a recording suggesting to choose 1 or 2 .... sends you to another recording .... impossible to talk to a person.

I sent a email & no word from them ...

Today I ordered again from the link you provided ..... I hope I have better luck then I got from the cliphouse.

I hope you have better luck also, that's the world we live in this day and age,

Still waiting for a follow up from a neurosurgeon that I saw on the 25th 

OF MAY!, several messages on the portal go un answered.